Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any Parallels users think the upgrade from 9 to 10 is worth it?

Any other Parallels Desktop users here?

I'm using Parallels 9 on my Mac. Since I upgraded to a MBP with an SSD at the beginning of the year Parallels has finally gotten speedy enough to use that I don't mind running Windows (when I have to).

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to Parallels 10. I am always skeptical about Parallels upgrades because they never seem to give the promised speed boosts. And with my SSD, Parallels 9 seems speedy enough for what I'm doing.

The one thing about Parallels 10 that tempted me is a new feature to automatically optimizing VM disk space. Right now my VMs are taking up about 65 GB of my SSD and so naturally I'm interested in as much savings as possible.

But I read up some more, and all it does it automatically compress the disks rather than you doing it manually when the VM is stopped. I just manually compressed all my Windows VMs but was only able to free up an extra 8 GB of space. If all Parallels 10 does with regards to VM optimization is run that automatically then that alone is not worth the upgrade.

Anything else "you gotta have" if you already have Parallels 9?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), i5, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 10:51 PM

19 replies

Sep 8, 2014 11:08 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

Thanks for being understanding. Try reading the ToU: Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use. If you had a problem relating to the Apple software having an incompatibility with third-party software, that's one thing. When you are "polling" for opinions on using non-Apple software that's altogether something different. I would expect that you are able to understand that difference and respect it on these forums regardless of what others have done. They, too, get reported.

Nov 19, 2014 10:42 AM in response to Emmett Lyman

I am wondering the same thing as well. This seems absolutely reasonable to ask this question in an Apple forum as it is about a piece of software written specifically for Apple hardware. If Doug were asking how to draw flowers in Illustrator - then he would be in the wrong place.

What is more offensive than Doug getting snippy responses is that moderators/admins kept this thread alive (if he is in fact in the wrong place). The thread shows up very high on Google searches. If this is not really the place, a moderator should delete the thread and do their part to reduce the noise for people actually looking for an answer to a reasonable question.

Mar 4, 2015 5:18 AM in response to Plazmyd

Wow... I feel Kappy's response is unneeded. Parallels allows us to live happily with our Macs and still do specific Windows tasks. I would prefer to come to an Apple community to talk about applications that run on my Mac than anywhere else (Agreeing with Emmett). Also this is a Windows Compatibility forum. Last I checked Parallels allows me Windows Compatibility on my Mac.

So can anyone attest to: Is it worth upgrading to Parallels 10 on our Macs?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Sparkleberry

I ended up upgrading too, quite a while ago, after I got a discount and a bundle that included Parallels Access for 2 years. With my SSD it was already plenty fast, and I can't say it seems faster. The main improvement is the SSD I think. It's extremely quick to start up and use with SSD.

But I haven't had any problems with it. So for the discounted backup and Parallels Access use it seems worth it. I've actually accessed my Mac at home while on the train from my iPhone 6 Plus and done something in an emergency.

doug

Jun 10, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Kappy

I always thought of Apple Computer users as the "free-thinking, creative types", the rule breakers....

But on these communities boards, Apple users are the pickiest and most catty bunch of people I've encountered on the internet.

It's so odd that just as I switched from PC to Mac - The Mac users seem to be the one's who feel compelled to follow every RIGID RULE in the world, while Microsoft (after Ballmer left) is now the fun loving, rule breakers.

Why am I writing this...

Because in the time you took to scold someone who had a simple question (I had the same question which is why I ended up here in the first place) you could have answered his question and helped out a bunch of people...

What a picky bunch...

Jun 10, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Sparkleberry

Perfect! That's just what I needed to know too. I am about to order a new iMac 27" but with a 3TB Fusion drive, 32gb memory. My concern is how fast Parallels will run Windows Vista for me because I have to use WordPerfect to type my court transcripts. I have Parallels installed on my old Macbook Pro 17" running 10.6.8 with 4gigs memory and believe it or not, it's fine. Inside of that, I run Virtual PC2007 to access Windows 98DOS so I can create ASCII disks. Confusing, but my concern was, will this odd setup work on a new iMac, and you can't believe how many so-called "geniuses" are stumped when I ask this question.

Jun 10, 2015 3:38 PM in response to bonibee

As the original poster I can report I've had no problem with Parallels Desktop 10 on my MBP with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD running the latest Yosemite.

I waited until Parallels had one of their many sales so I could upgrade for $39 instead of $49.

The start up speed is very fast, though I have not tried Vista - just Windows 7, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. I believe most of the speed improvement is due to the SSD drive. That really makes all the difference in the world. On a mechanical spinning disk I would think startup would still be slow.

doug

Any Parallels users think the upgrade from 9 to 10 is worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.