Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to Final Cut has lots my projects and events!

Please help me. After an update to my MacBook I was then told I must update the Final Cut Software. I was then asked to update all of my files so I did. All except one project has been edited off of an external hard drive (6 events with projects) , where both the events and projects of my films have disappeared. The events and projects have been saved and are still on my hard drive (I can see the individual folders), but this update has moved them into a Volume's Projects and Events folder as well as opened this up in Final Cut finding only ONE event which is still missing links to the media and the project is GONE. Years of work which was soon to be worked on again, has disappeared. I have tried to manually locate the projects but it won't let me reopen the folder they are in, as obviously it has found all it wants to find... The Updated Projects menu gives me two more projects, with missing files and events. One old and one new. My new project has lost its event folder and all the media with it.

The work is there... I HOPE.. I can see it in folders on my hard drive. But this 'update' has not worked. Please help as I need my work back and need to get on with my current project.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Final Cut Pro 10.1.3

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 8:33 AM

3 replies

Sep 9, 2014 9:24 AM in response to shannonapplequestions

It looks like you updated for a version 10.0.* to 10.1.3.

Since 10.1, FCP X has a new way to organize your content. Don't fret, it is different, but is vastly superior.

You need to learn about Libraries. When you updated FCP X created one Library for each drive. Inside that library are events *and* projects. Look inside the library for an event named something like "updated projects".

Learn about libraries here: Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2: Updating and working with libraries FAQ

You may benefit by following these free tutorials by Steve Martin and Mark Spencer: http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

Also, to learn more about 10.1 features you may enjoy the course by Izzy Video: http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

Oct 7, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Unfortunately his has not helped. According to the tutorials I have done everything correctly, but the software has errored. I can't figure out how to get my work back. It has found bits and bobs all over the place. Its even moved projects and clips into the wrong events and libraries. its gone horribly wrong. Ive lost projects, which means I have lost work.

I have the updated projects file, only on my mackintosh library, not on my external hard drives library, which has the projects in. But the majority of my work was on my external hard drive!! Which it has failed to find and even tried to wipe off my hard drive! thankfully I clicked save when it asked to delete all the old files, which now seems to be only way of getting my work back. however when i search for the old projects they are now a file type that the software does not recognise.

I'm beginning to get quite panicked that this 'vastly superior' update seems has lost years of work. And it has also stopped me doing my work.

Please do help.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2014 10:12 AM in response to shannonapplequestions

You made the right decision in keeping the old versions when asked.

You therefore should have folders like Old Final Cut Projects (or similar names) in the external drive.

Since the update process appears to have failed, I suggest you try to do it piecemeal.

You need to recreate the traditional named folders "Final Cut Projects" and "Final Cut Events", but don't put everything in there at once.

Create temporary folders as you might have done in 10.0.x, call them "Final Cut Projects (hidden)" and "Final Cut Events (hidden)".

Only the things in "Final Cut Projects" and "Final Cut Events" will be updated. Maybe these will work, so you can then create another library for more of your content.

It is not a good idea in general to just have a big library, anyway. This way you may not just work around the problem, but also get to organize your material in a more effective way, and let the software work more efficiently (huge libraries are a drag on performance).

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

And if your material is important, keep a good backup strategy.

Update to Final Cut has lots my projects and events!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.