Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is FileVault really safe?

Last year my MacBook and an external HD without encryption got stolen...

Now i plan to encrypt my Harddisks and wanted to know:

- Is FileVault safe?

- How easy is it for others to "break in"

- Are there better alternates? (i am ready to pay money for good software)

Any Feedback would be helpful 🙂

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 12:44 PM

It's as safe as such software can be.

It would be very difficult for others to break in especially if you use a strong password.

No, there are no better alternatives.

OS X- About FileVault 2

OS X- Macs that support authenticated restart with FileVault

OS X Using FileVault with OS X Recovery

5 replies

Sep 9, 2014 3:58 PM in response to Kappy

thanks, i just encrypted one of my external harddisks, the "bad" surprise was the password selection..

i wanted to enter a password in Cyrillic letters but it won't let me do that, i feel a bit like apple wants to tell me "oh no, thats too safe, you have to use unsafe standard character layout every bruteforce program knows" i like to have my passwords in cyrillic so i am a bit disappointed 😟

Sep 10, 2014 5:52 AM in response to Kappy

i am russian, i bought my mac in russia, my mac is russian, my keyboard is russian 😉 but even in russia, most apps and stuff won't let you use cyrillic as password... which i think is unfair and weird 😟 not even russian websites like smotri and whatever let you use cyrillic passwords, sometimes even your username has to be in latin.

Sep 10, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Валя

The fact that FileVault2 is limited to English or similar is probably due to a) this being simpler for Apple to develop and store the values of, and b) there probably not being a means in the FileVault2 login screen to select alternative keyboard layouts.

All of the above would I am sure be possible to fix but probably was not a top priority initially.

I would suggest posting feedback here http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html suggesting this as a new feature. I am all in favour of getting Apple to make their products more friendly to international markets even if it is of no direct relevance to myself. I am particularly hacked off by Microsoft still not supporting right-to-left languages like Hebrew and Arabic in Word for Mac with no likelihood this will change even in the forthcoming Office 2014 for Mac.

Note to Apple and Microsoft - over 50% of sales of Apple products are outside the USA and this proportion continues to grow.

PS. Apple where is iTunes Radio for the UK???

Is FileVault really safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.