Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am able to login to remote server using the terminal but not able to do the same using the finder

Hi all

I am using SSH protocol to connect to remote server, However, when I tried to do the same with the Finder, it refuse to login. '

Any ideas

thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 3:55 PM

6 replies

Sep 9, 2014 8:04 PM in response to ahmed shaaban

When you ssh to the server, it is not an ordinary login. Once you are connected, your computing is done by the Server computer, and only the output is returned to the workstation computer. Nothing in particular needs to be working correctly -- you are running on the Server computer, and your files are local.

When you login to the Server as a Network user, only your files are sourced from the Server via File Sharing. Your computing environment is on the Workstation.

Sep 10, 2014 4:41 AM in response to ahmed shaaban

You have not defined Mobility settings for the user/group/device via MCX or Profile Manager. MCX is depreciated so unless you are supporting a mix of devices from 10.6.x to present, you likely should be going with Profile Manager.

Based on your post, I assume you have:

• Defined internal DNS

• Created an Open Directory Master

• Created users and groups and assigned proper SACLs

• Ensured the user accounts have a valid NFSHomeDirectory value

• Bound the workstations to the OD domain

Unless you are using Network Home Folders, this is not enough. You need to apply a setting that is sent to the machines telling them that it is ok to support network logins. This is the Mobility payload and, as mentioned, can be found in both Profile Manager and MCX.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Sep 10, 2014 6:52 AM in response to ahmed shaaban

If I understand the question correctly, it is a matter of opening up ports/turning on services.

In the sharing preference pane, Remote Logins applies to ssh. Screen Sharing and Remote Management would allow for your to open up a remote connection that would show you the full GUI of your machine. (See the finder, browse with Safari, etc) Is that what you were asking?

Or in Finder -> Go -> Connect to server

That would be to connect to an afp share on the server. In that case, you would have to set up the share point on the server with proper permissions.

(Either with the Server.app or the Sharing preference pane -> File Sharing. Is that what you were looking for?

Sep 10, 2014 11:04 AM in response to macadmin78

I successfully login to the server using the ssh via terminal, however, when I tried to do the same with the Finder -> GO -> Connect to server, it gives me the following error

"The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

The server already exist and I am able to log into it from the terminal, however, it refuse logging into it from the Finder.

Thanks in advance

I am able to login to remote server using the terminal but not able to do the same using the finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.