Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Apple Watch compatible with iPad?

I Saw the Apple Watch released this morning and I'm wondering if it's compatible with the iPad Mini Retina or iPod Touch 5th Gen. iPod.

iPad, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 7:30 PM

http://www.apple.com/watch/

is all anyone knows about it.

14 replies

Sep 25, 2014 5:20 AM in response to iOSAssistance

There are no known hardware and software limitations to compatibility. Therefore, it could be at least limited compatibility. I think it wouldn't hurt Apple Inc. to issue the watch with at least limited compatibility. I think it would be good for the existing customer base. However, we don't know what the marketing/business strategy Apple is pursuing. In any case, after initial launch they could issue an update that extends the compatibility. The more user uses Apple products and services the more reasonable for him to switch to Apple ecosystem entirely, so, the final decision could be in the air. Supporting customers should demand the full compatibility. With Apple and customers it's always about a game of negotiation between them. Customers demand new feature / complaint about something, and Apple make a consensus move, between their long-term vision and customers' demands.

Sep 30, 2016 10:44 PM in response to LACAllen

Really?

I am definitely an iPad user and not an iPhone user.

I can justify the price of an iPad, but could never justify the costs of an iPhone.

I use a cheap Android phones for calls only.

I have my iPad Pro with me all of the time, so the Apple Watch would work in tandem for all of my non-running, non-sport activities.

So, the iPhone is in your pocket or in a bag. As long as the watch an iDevice use Bluetooth connection it shouldn't matter what the device.

Apple, also, decided, in its infinite knowledge and wisdom, to not let the Apple Watch work with the latest 6th Gen iPod Touch that has a good chunk of all of the same technology as the iPhone 6!

The current iPod Touch is the first iPod Touch to come very close the matching, spec for spec, the iPhone 6.

This is one of the reasons I chose a Pebble Watch, instead.

It's not an Apple Watch, but its OS is solidly designed and its watches and OS work with ANY iDevice (except the iPad 2) that runs iOS 8 or later.

iPads and iPod Touches included!

Is the Apple Watch compatible with iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.