Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync old Messages to new Mac

I recently got a new MacBook Air and was wondering if it is possible to get all of my old messages sent via iMessage to sync to the Messages app (I have been using an iPhone for years). All of the new messages I have sent show up both on my phone and on the Messages app, but none of the old messages or conversation threads with people I haven't messaged since getting my new computer show up. I frequently need to reference old information in messages so not being able to view old messages is kind of frustrating (for example it would help if on the Message app on my MacBook I was able to see the messages I sent to someone a week ago, back before I got my MacBook. But currently I can only see messages sent after ). Is there a way to get these old messages to sync to the Message app. It seems like this should happen automatically (as it does between my phone and iPad) but no such luck.

I have tried logging off and back on, I have double and triple checked that my AppleID and phone number are the same between the app and my phone, and once again, all new messages come through just fine. All i need to know is if it's possible to get all the old messages I've sent, which are clearly saved somewhere (since they sync between iPhone and iPad) to show up on my MacBook.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 12:23 PM

Hi,

The iMessages servers push the iMessages to the devices for a timed period (experience suggests 72 hours) until the device "accepts" it.

At that point it is Display only.

In the cases where you have linked an iPhone to an Apple ID then iMessages sent to the iPhone Number are sent to the iPhone first and a "Copy" is sent to the devices using the Apple ID.

The reverse is true when an iMessages is sent to the Apple ID the iPhone gets a "copy".

iMessages can be stored in two places on the Mac.

The first is ~/LibraryMessages which holds the Attachments folder and the chat.db database items. (About three different ones).

The Chat.db item can be opened in TextEdit but is not that readable.

You can make out thought that it is storing the iMessages.

It is this that gives you the "history" to the Conversations.

One method would have been to Migrate the Mac User Account from one computer to the other.

Another is to drag the Messages folder from one computer to another - however this tends to create Permissions and Ownership issues as they were created on another computer.

If in the Preferences you are also using Save on Close (Which includes Shutting the computer down or Quitting the app) then any Conversation of chat that is open at the time will be Saved. (if there is anything new to it).

These are in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive (And then dated folders)

(in Mountain Lion (Messages 7.x.x) they were in the same place, but now Messages is Sandboxed)

Again these can either be Migrated with the Mac User account after you set up the Mac or dragged from one to another with the work to change Ownership and Permissions.

If you have two currently used places (on each computer) you cannot merge them. (Some iMessages will be lost).

To restate.

iMessages are not held on the iMessages server after your Mac and iOS devices that are registered have received them. (unlike emails that might be)

They are time limited when a device is Off Line.

You can move the files from one computer to another if you did not migrate the Mac user account.

However you need to change Ownership and possibly make sure the Permission allow Read and Write for the Mac User Account on this computer.

User uploaded file

8:23 pm Wednesday; September 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2014 12:23 PM in response to adpavia

Hi,

The iMessages servers push the iMessages to the devices for a timed period (experience suggests 72 hours) until the device "accepts" it.

At that point it is Display only.

In the cases where you have linked an iPhone to an Apple ID then iMessages sent to the iPhone Number are sent to the iPhone first and a "Copy" is sent to the devices using the Apple ID.

The reverse is true when an iMessages is sent to the Apple ID the iPhone gets a "copy".

iMessages can be stored in two places on the Mac.

The first is ~/LibraryMessages which holds the Attachments folder and the chat.db database items. (About three different ones).

The Chat.db item can be opened in TextEdit but is not that readable.

You can make out thought that it is storing the iMessages.

It is this that gives you the "history" to the Conversations.

One method would have been to Migrate the Mac User Account from one computer to the other.

Another is to drag the Messages folder from one computer to another - however this tends to create Permissions and Ownership issues as they were created on another computer.

If in the Preferences you are also using Save on Close (Which includes Shutting the computer down or Quitting the app) then any Conversation of chat that is open at the time will be Saved. (if there is anything new to it).

These are in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive (And then dated folders)

(in Mountain Lion (Messages 7.x.x) they were in the same place, but now Messages is Sandboxed)

Again these can either be Migrated with the Mac User account after you set up the Mac or dragged from one to another with the work to change Ownership and Permissions.

If you have two currently used places (on each computer) you cannot merge them. (Some iMessages will be lost).

To restate.

iMessages are not held on the iMessages server after your Mac and iOS devices that are registered have received them. (unlike emails that might be)

They are time limited when a device is Off Line.

You can move the files from one computer to another if you did not migrate the Mac user account.

However you need to change Ownership and possibly make sure the Permission allow Read and Write for the Mac User Account on this computer.

User uploaded file

8:23 pm Wednesday; September 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sync old Messages to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.