Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syndication.twitter.com

Hi,

As soon as I connect to the network and open safari for network access, a new tab open automatically and routes to the following URL "

https://syndication.twitter.com/i/jot/syndication?". How can I get rid of this new tab opening in Safari? This is happening after the upgrade of OS to Mavericks and to a new version of Safari. Please help me.

I did contact support and I received a very good support from John & Mark, we did try to delete adware in MacHardware, it worked for a day without any issues. However, the steps taken to resolve didn't seem to solve the issue permanently.

Thank you!

Vanguru Madhukar

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 3:28 AM

I'm not sure I followed all that, but to remove most all currently know adware safely and efficiently, run AdMedic.

To understand what caused this and avoid it in the future, read John Galt's How to install adware.

20 replies

Sep 10, 2014 7:26 AM in response to MadMacs0

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response,

"No adware found" is the window popped after running the AdMedic. Seems like no more adware in the system, Mark helped me to delete adware from hardware Library on Sunday, he guided me through screen sharing, may be you can have a look at it if that helps.

One other important thing that I would like to let you know, may be if that helps, on the top right corner of new Mac OS X mavericks, a new option "Messages" allowed me to get the updates from Facebook, this was happening even after logout of Facebook(its my wife account). The day before my wife picture was auto updated on Facebook, she didn't login, she clicked on PhotoBooth selected a photo and clicked on share and then "Change Profile Picture & Facebook", maybe this would have allowed to upload the picture on Facebook.

I then got into System Preferences>>>Internet Account and deleted my wife Facebook account, from then I do not get any messages from Facebook. The "Sydication.twitter" page did not auto populate from yesterday. I don't know why the url auto populated? I am worried if some Malware corrupted my Mac?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Thank you!

Sep 10, 2014 9:57 AM in response to vangurumadhu

vangurumadhu wrote:

I am worried if some Malware corrupted my Mac?

Well you can stop worrying about it as there is no malware that would cause this. In fact, that address is a secure connection to Twitter (a very popular and legitimate social media site) and can't possibly cause you any issues.

Select "Reset Safari..." from the Safari menu, check only "Clear History" and "Remove all website date" to start with and click the Reset button.

User uploaded file

Sep 10, 2014 10:44 PM in response to MadMacs0

Hi,

Thank you for your response,

A big relief to know that its a secure connection to twitter. I am using Mac for almost three years with no issues, this was the first time a web page opened automatically. Did you try the link and saw that its a secure connection to twitter? Hopefully, you might have but just want to know to be sure. If it is a secure connection then I will stop worrying if the webpage auto populates.

Thank you!

Sep 10, 2014 11:20 PM in response to vangurumadhu

vangurumadhu wrote:

Did you try the link and saw that its a secure connection to twitter?

I didn't really need to. The "https://" means that it will try to make a secure connection and the "twitter.com" will only go to a valid twitter domain, regardless of anything else in the url, but I was curious to know what was there, so yes I did try it and it negotiated a secure connection.

User uploaded file

but there is nothing on that page except a 1x1 pixel, probably white which you won't be able to see. Such things are usually used as tracking methods to show that you read something, so I don't know why it would even open a tab once, let alone multiple times.

Sep 12, 2014 1:20 AM in response to MadMacs0

Hi MadMacs 0

I do have the same problem - I've updates to Maverick 2 days ago. But to "Reset Safari" and clear the history won't change anything. I'm not sure what to do next ...stop using Safari? It's extremely annoying ...if Safari runs and you're writing a mail it pops up without any reason 😢

I would be pleased if someone knows how to solve this.

Thanks

Sep 12, 2014 11:40 PM in response to vangurumadhu

At some point your wife must have linked her Facebook account to Twitter. This is what is known as Web Syndication. She either clicked on:

User uploaded file

or went to https://www.facebook.com/twitter and signed up for it.

My guess is that the link needed to be broken before deleting your wife's account. I suggest you have a conversation with Facebook, Twitter or both to see how the situation can be permanently resolved. It may be as simple as deleting a cookie or two, but I am out of ideas.

Sep 19, 2014 8:06 AM in response to vangurumadhu

I'm having the same problem, I updated Safari yesterday and today I ran into the same deal.

It automatically opens the same page.

In keychain access I set the settings of the highest certificate not to trust.

It looks like it won't open again.

I never use Twitter, so I don't think it's related to any social media account.

I'm still looking for a solution, or if this is related to the Apple Safari update.

Anyone?

Oct 14, 2014 7:03 AM in response to vangurumadhu

I am new to MAC and this issue is also a problem for me.

I also do not have a twitter account and never have. Neither does anyone in my home and yet as I try and work on Safari I get this very annoying syndication.twitter.com pop-up over and over and over again. It is making the use of Safari near impossible and I'm very disappointed that the various proposed 'fixes' through here and the help menu have done nothing to fix this problem.

Just in the few seconds it has taken me to type this message, the syndication.twitter.com pop up has happened 3 times.

I'm wondering if there is another option other than Safari, that I can put on my MAC to make it useable again? I'm wondering why this is happening? When I go to security to block this page that keeps popping up over and over, it isn't even listed as one of the open pages - very frustrating.

Oct 14, 2014 8:17 AM in response to suisseness

I'm having the same issue - the frequency of the pop-up is increasing. In the middle of typing an email or anything it just pops open, even if it is already open. I've tried the fixes recommended and deleted and blocked and done all I know and still it pops open constantly - enough to make me go back to my pc as my mac is nearly unusable with such an annoying interfering page popping up.

syndication.twitter.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.