Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Apple watch be water-resistant?

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 3:25 AM

Good question,

I found this on the web:

Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during today’s media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”

That’s a major bummer for those hoping to use the watch’s fitness tracking abilities in the water. It also means you’ll have to take it off every time you hop in the shower.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/295055/apple-watch-water-resistant-waterproof/#RRSMQfT6 gmwGV83O.99

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2014 3:25 AM in response to frankhamburg

Good question,

I found this on the web:

Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during today’s media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”

That’s a major bummer for those hoping to use the watch’s fitness tracking abilities in the water. It also means you’ll have to take it off every time you hop in the shower.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/295055/apple-watch-water-resistant-waterproof/#RRSMQfT6 gmwGV83O.99

Sep 12, 2014 3:13 PM in response to frankhamburg

I agree. It just became an non-starter. I'm a kayaker and thought, "Wonderful. I can leave the phone in the car and not spend the time sealing it up using a foodsaver bag and attaching it to a float. I can just wear my watch." Nope. I would have to do the same to the watch. (You ask why I would have my phone with me? I'm not that far from land and a cell tower in case of emergency.)

At least the "sport" version should be able to take it. Right now, my Timex has this thing beat.

When they make this thing as waterproof as my Timex, I'll shell out the money.

Sep 15, 2014 5:02 PM in response to frankhamburg

I Spoke a man named Jason at 1855 central time today when I called apple sales. I asked him about the watches and he said that they currently do not have the specs on things such as depth ratings and such, however the sport edition is made to be able to swim with you.

knowing how the heart rate sensor works, however, I can't imagine that part of the watch being used while submerged. BUT, if Jason is correct (and he was very confident in this, which I'm glad because I record all my calls) then the sport watch will be perfectly fine for me. As long as I can wear it in resonable water environments (I don't need to scuba dive with it, but pools/showers etc) then I'm satisfied And will buy the device. However, if he was not correct I will be extremely upset to wait 6 months (not buying a different watch I've been eyeing for quite some time) just to find out the apple watch will be rendered useless and too fragile for my lifestyle.

they said rain but no shower, well I'm sorry but some of the storms I work in, I might as well be swimming in a pool, so if it doesn't have atleast 1 meter of water proofing, this watch is not for me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.