Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 6 T-Mobile Contract free, does that mean its unlocked? And I can use it worldwide?

HI there,

IPhone 6 T-Mobile Contract free, does that mean its unlocked? And I can use it worldwide?

please advise me?

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 12:21 AM

15 replies

Sep 10, 2014 12:26 AM in response to Tjudeh

As long as you do not activate the phone with the T-Mobile sim card initially and just use the sim card you want, then the phone should remain unlocked.

These were exactly the same questions asked when the iPhone 5s was released - if you want the phone to be unlocked then purchase the sim free T-Mobile phone, but DON'T activate it with the T-Mobile sim card. If you do activate it with the T-Mobile sim, then the phone will be locked to T-Mobile, but if you activate it with another sim card, then it should remain unlocked.

The problem with sim free is that it normally locks to the first sim card that you put in the phone and if you activate it with the T-Mobile sim, then it will, so don't use that, but the sim card that you want instead.

Other than that, it normally takes about 6 months after the initial release date before Apple starts selling unlocked phones.

Sep 11, 2014 8:58 AM in response to Ethmoid

Hi Ethmoid,

What happens if I activate the iPhone 6 (contract-free) using a sim from an outside carrier, which is currently on international roaming (under AT&T) in the USA?

Will it be locked to the outside carrier (can I use it under that carrier in my country)? OR will it be locked to AT&T because I was roaming on that network when I activated it?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2014 10:20 AM in response to gerogut

I tried activating it without a SIM but it required a SIM so I activated it using AT&T first and it worked. After activating it I swapped the sim to a t-mobile and it worked with that as well. I reset the phone and tested it with T-mobile for activation first and then swapped it with AT&T and it worked with both sims.

I do travel a lot and like the freedom of putting any sim I want in a phone that is paid for in full.

From my quick testing I think the contract free T-mobile iPhone 6 is the same an unlocked iPhone 6.

Jan 1, 2015 9:52 PM in response to jayalapati

Thanks for the tip! so if i were to activate the phone using the included tmobile sim, then replace with a different sim from a different country, there shouldnt be any trouble?

if i were to run into any trouble, would resetting the phone fix the issue? sorry for all the questions, just paranoid i might make a mistake

Jan 1, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Rjgs23

If you buy an unlocked device from the Apple store - it can be used with any GSM carrier. If you are planning to use Verizon as your carrier then buy a Verizon device - it just has the IMEI whitelisted by Verizon. For Sprint you have to buy a Sprint phone that cannot be used domestically in the US on any other carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.