Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access Recovery Mode on old Mac

I've had an old Mac lying around unused for the last few years.

It is currently running (from "About this Mac")

OS X version 10.5.8

Dual 1.3 GHz PowerPC G4

2 MB L3 cache per processor

768 MB SDRAM

It's a Power Mac G4

I want to completely wipe this computer so it's in absolute factory settings with nothing left behind by me, so I can sell it for a small price and possibly take a couple of parts for a build I'm thinking about.

I Tried the Restart, Command + R method of accessing Recovery Mode multiple times with no success. It takes around 30 seconds to boot each time so I'm not missing the "window" to do it, I think. (I beggin the Key Combo when I hear the chime)

i don't have any disks for this computer as it was pre-owned, at least 5 years ago, from a guy I've lost touch with. I don't want to back up any files.

can anyone help me reset this dusty old calculator?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 5:01 AM

OS X Recovery only works on Macs running v10.7 or later.

You need the install disc(s) to reformat the drive.

Call Apple Customer Service for replacement discs > 1-800-676-2775

7 replies

Sep 10, 2014 5:18 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the quick answer,

These computers are on auction websites for as low as £12 and no one wants them, I really don't want to spend even a £ on this mac, I just want to take the HDD and Wifi Card from it and use them in a build, can't I just turn it off, remove the hard drives and wipe them on a different computer?

or will information still be floating around in the mac somewhere?

Sep 10, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Joe Clilverd

You can remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer (Mac or PC), and then use an appropriate utility to wipe the disk. This could be easier if you have access to an adapter similar to the one below, but if the other machine is a desktop there may be a suitable internal connector already.

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb3_universaldriveadap.php

Jan

Dec 7, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Man in despair

Man in despair,

The pre-2006 PowerMacs this foru serves cannot run OS 10.6.8. What Mac to you have? We can get you moved to the proper forum for your Mac.

Never be hesitant to start a new thread. When you tag onto another, especially one like this that appears to be about a different Mac model, you dilute the help the original poster deserves. It is also confusing to the rest of use and some very knowlegeable helpers here will not respond to a tag-on (also known as a "thread-jack.")

So fast help require you to make a new thread in teh forum that matches you Mac model.

Can't access Recovery Mode on old Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.