Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know where to find Auto-shrink Text on the new Keynote?

On the previous version and in PowerPoint you can get text to auto fit to your text box but the Auto-shrink function seems to have vanished, anyone know if there is a new way?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 5:33 AM

Text auto fits, when title or body, text placeholders are used:

Inspector > Format > Slide Layout

16 replies

Sep 11, 2014 9:44 AM in response to xmddmx

Michael Diehr wrote:

Click Format to show the inspector, then click Text, then the Layout tab and it's the 3rd item down

This allows to turn off, shrink text to fit, not turn it on.

As explained previously, shrink to fit is only available in preset title and body text holders.

This is the inspector for a title or body text place holder, it allows text shrinking to be turned off (it is on by default in title or body text placeholders)

Customised text boxes however can not have shrink to fit turned on.

Feb 17, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for your reply. But as you say, it's not available for custom text boxes as it used to be. In accordance with best practices for slide presentations, I avoid canned templates whenever possible--after the title slide, very few of my slides use the pre-programmed title and subtitle fields.

Apple had a perfectly serviceable control, easily accessible and applicable to all text fields. Then they decided to bury it 4 clicks deep and make it available only to the fields THEY think you should need. Theirs.

What's more, in my version of Keynote (6.5), if I followed your directions correctly, it's not even there for the canned fields. I attach a screenshot. Am I missing something?

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2015 11:11 AM in response to TessaW78

I wanted to give you all a definitive on this one answer so we can all go about making our glorious Keynote presentations. Here is how I get "Shrink text to fit" to be available for all of my Keynote text:

1. Create a new Keynote document
  2. Click on the View menu and choose Edit Master Slides
  3. Make a new slide (or work on an esisting one)
  4. With the Slide Master (thumbnail) selected (on the left), click on the Format button and make sure Body and Title are checked in/below Appearance
  5. IMPORTANT: Make sure Allow objects on slide to layer with master is checked in/below Appearance
  6. You now have a Title and Body text box on our slide.
  7. Duplicate the Body text box and update the styles as many times as you need for this slide's template
  8. IMPORTANT: If/When you copy the Body text box, go to the Format menu, choose Advanced and select Define as Text Placeholder
  9. Make as many copies of the text box as you need for this template. Copy the template and make any changes you need.
  10. Click the "Done" button at the bottom of the template or go to View and choose Exit Master Slides
  11. Create a new slide and choose the Slide Master you want to use. Add some text into on of the text boxes (Title, Body or new Placeholders)
  12. With the text box selected, slick the Format button, then click Text and choose Layout. You will see the Shrink text to fit checkbox as an option. Check and uncheck the box to while resizing your text box to see what happens.

That's it, you can now enable or disable the option on all of your Keynote text boxes using the steps above.

Go forth and create!

Jono

http://www.twitter.com/chsweb

Jul 24, 2015 1:04 AM in response to ox4dboy

There's actually a quicker way of doing this - and it has to be a bug.

Put in a custom text box as you normally would. In the inspector > text > layout, change columns to 2. Then change it back to 1.

Click away from your custom text box. Click back in... and the 'shrink text to fit' button magically appears!

Because of this behaviour, this has to be a bug.

Does anyone know where to find Auto-shrink Text on the new Keynote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.