Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"System extension cannot be used" after installing iTunes 11.4

Installing latest version of iTunes (11.4) today led to the following error message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension “//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I'm able to use my USB drive for Time Machine, and that appears to be functioning ok. Why this error message? Anyone else had it? And what does it mean for the continued safe operation of my MacBook? Would be reassuring to know if this is happening for anybody else, and if anyone else has found it affecting them. (Other than the distraction of getting a worrying error message that I take time out to report?)

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 6:19 AM

I was having the same issue and had reinstalled iTunes a few times with no success. As an experiment, I redownloaded iTunes from Apple Site this morning and TURNED OFF my iPad. Turned it off not put it to sleep and reinstalled and all went well. I do not have an iPhone and the iPad is my only extra apple device. There was no message this time and so far so good. I have also not had any problems that I can see

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Coola Boola

I was having the same issue and had reinstalled iTunes a few times with no success. As an experiment, I redownloaded iTunes from Apple Site this morning and TURNED OFF my iPad. Turned it off not put it to sleep and reinstalled and all went well. I do not have an iPhone and the iPad is my only extra apple device. There was no message this time and so far so good. I have also not had any problems that I can see

Sep 10, 2014 6:33 AM in response to markgil

Personally I'm stuck for time so can't test lots of different possibilities. Knowing you've tried a couple of things and nothing appears to be "broken" is a bit reassuring. And nobody else has reported the sky falling in on them (I cross-posted on Re: system extension cannot be used AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext as I can see you have too). Think we'll just have to wait and see if Apple release a fix for this.

Sep 10, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Coola Boola

This fixes it.

You are basically removing ( or renaming as I did) the old kext and then rerunning the iTunes installer which will then properly install the kext.

http://blog.iphoting.com/blog/2012/09/04/fixing-broken-iphone-usb-tethering-on-o s-x/

To fix the faulty

AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext
, it needs to be reinstalled from the iTunes package. Follow the steps below:

1. Unplug your iPhone from the computer.
  2. Download the iTunes installer.
  3. Remove the old kernel extension:

$ sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext

4. Run the iTunes installer and let it finish.
  5. Load the updated kernel extension:

$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext

Sep 10, 2014 4:20 PM in response to wldcrdace

Yeah I did that only I deleted the .kext file with finder, enter my password and sent it to the trash. Then I reinstalled iTunes which didn't get the error this time. Then I reloaded the kernel extension with the command above. Everything seems to be fine now. The

AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext file is now dated July 2014, the deleted file was from 2009.

Sep 10, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Amazin' Mac Mini

This is technically "in response" to Amazin' Mac Mini, but I really want my response to be spotted by Coola Boola. I did exactly what Amazin' Mac Mini did, and it solved the problem--i.e., "//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used." So, Coola Boola, please give it a try--it worked!…and thanks to both Amazin' Mac Mini and wldcrdace 🙂!

Sep 11, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Coola Boola

the "//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext can just be replaced to overcome the problem as indicated below. Mine was dated 2012 and after the latest iTunes update, stopped working. I noticed this as my personal hotspot connection between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone failed (I use the USB cable for this). To overcome the problem, first unlock the //System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext file, then drag it to the waste bin and empty the waste bin. Then download iTunes and reinstall-you don't have to remove anything-just reinstall. This will put back a newer //System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext file dated 2014. After this, restart your computer and it should now work. I checked the personal hotspot connection via my USB cable and this is what I'm using now writing and posting this. So Good luck. Hopefully Apple will fix this bug in the next update.

Sep 12, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Coola Boola

I've read the solutions posted by a number of people way more expert than me, and seen they may not necessarily fix my problem. Even tried a couple of them. I'm now more sure than ever that I'll wait for Apple to sort this mess out. After all, they created it by letting a poorly tested release out the door. Suggest everyone contacts Apple here: Feedback

and lets them know we're each impacted by it. I have already. Apple don't monitor these discussions so if we don't tell 'em, they'll never know!

Sep 12, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Coola Boola

I am unable to Sync my iPad and iPhone5s now. This would be via USB - does anyone have this issue? I am on OS10.6.8 iTunes 11.4 and iOS 7.1.2. iTunes sees my devices, but won't sync or backup. I can restore an old backup to the device, but iTunes won't take anything from the devices. The sync button is greyed out, and when I try to do a Backup - Sync starts for maybe 1 second, and then stops with no error message. iTunes also does not see any new music (like the U2 album), and check for downloads says that nothing is available.

"System extension cannot be used" after installing iTunes 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.