Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook g4 stopped working right after installing new ram

Hi All,

We have a macbook pro but I decided to resurrect my ancient g4 last week so that my kids could play videos and watch youtube. After doing some modifying with flash to get it to play on youtube it worked great. Then I installed 1mb of ram and all **** broke loose. After about 20 minutes everything, and I mean everything went dead. I installed the old 512 chip and reset the cpu and well, it started but things are wonky now. It's running much slower, won't run youtube videos smoothly ( wouldn't really call it playing as much as slideshowing) or play the games the kids had just played last week. Any ideas as to how to fix this??

I already did verify disk all was fine but when I tried running disk permission it just ran forever saying it was reading it.

933 powerpc g4

640 ram

ios 10.5.8

iBook G4 (14-inch), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 8:29 AM

1 reply

Sep 10, 2014 11:53 PM in response to singbanshee

The computer may have suffered some damages due to static on removal/installation

of the 1024MB RAM chip, or it may be the chip you had was not supported by the

iBook G4 14-inch 933MHz model. If the RAM chip came from a PC model and is of

known-poor quality or not-compatible with Macintosh, that could also contribute to this.

Built-in Memory 128 MB

Maximum Memory 1.12 GB

Memory Slots 1 - PC-2100 DDR266 200-pin SO-DIMM

(PC-2700 supported; however it will run at only 266 MHz)

{specs according to http://mactracker.ca database}

Without knowing more about other details, including the RAM if damages or incorrect,

there isn't much to say at this point. Given the 512MB chip appeared to work again

once placed back into the computer, says at least the RAM slot and connections there

seem to be working still.

If the system's own Disk Utility can't repair disk permissions, try the booted OS X install

DVD or discs that were used to install the current system; you can 'repair disk' and also

'repair permissions' from the booted OS X installer's menu options. And be sure to choose

the correct option there for restart from the DVD, to have the computer boot from the HDD.

Did you try resetting the PRAM? •About NVRAM and PRAM

On a lesser item, for more general purpose, did you see if a PMU reset may help?

•Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

Sometimes information about the system can be found in the Console utility, and in

places such Crash reports, as well as by Date, and Time, odd behavior can be seen

by specific kinds of activity recorded in those Console Logs. Also, System Profiler

has access to some of those logs (from 'about this mac' and 'more info'.)

If the chip was for a way different model Apple portable, then it would not work at

all and could damage the logic board among other things, by the way.

In any event... hopefully it will still work OK.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

ibook g4 stopped working right after installing new ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.