Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPhone 5s doesn't ring or give text alerts every time

I have an iPhone 5s with OS version 7.1.2 (11D257). Recently I noticed that I was missing calls and text messages because the phone didn't ring or give the text alert. There is no vibration either. The phone is not in "do not disturb" mode and the manual sound switch on the side of the phone is turned on. It doesn't happen on every call or text, but the past few days it is more than 75% of them. I find myself checking the phone more often now that I'm aware of the problem. That was prompted by the fact that it has already caused a few problems with customers and employees who have returned my call to them within seconds only to have my phone go to voicemail and me not see their message for up to a half hour or so. Thoughts? I'm going to do an update right now just to be sure that I have the latest and greatest Apple patches.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2, See posts

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 9:36 AM

11 replies

Oct 4, 2014 9:06 AM in response to OkeeKen

I have this exact problem, but in my situation it seeming has gotten worse since I upgraded to iOS 8. A few days ago I reset my phone completely but that doesn't help. Texts and calls arrive at my phone without any audio notification.

I haven't figured out all the symptoms, but it seems that if my phone is active and not in sleep mode, I got hear the audio notification. If it's in sleep mode, I don't.

Oct 10, 2014 5:12 AM in response to jtfey

I think we do in fact have a similar problem. When my phone is in sleep mode is when it doesn't always produce phone rings and never gives text alerts. I just verified this by having my assistant call and text me from her Verizon Galaxy phone and call me from our office land line. From sleep mode my iPhone didn't ring with the first phone call from her cell or her first text message, but the text message did arrive. She said my phone went straight to voicemail on the call and the text showed as delivered. The land line test call did ring my iPhone. A second attempt to call my sleeping iPhone from her cell phone did result in my phone ringing. A second text attempt had the same result as the first, no alert, but the text did arrive. A third text attempt with my phone not in sleep mode resulted in a text alert with the arrival of the text. I did the same test, calling and texting my phone, with another iPhone 5s. My phone rang from sleep mode but didn't give a text alert.

So, it would seem that this is mostly a text alert issue only when the phone is in sleep mode. I'm going to review all my settings and failing finding something there that solves the problem I may call AT&T (if I am feeling patient). I'll report back if I find a solution.

Oct 10, 2014 6:25 AM in response to OkeeKen

Well, my problem was fixed quite easily by an AT&T person. She touched the bottom of the screens, slide it up to reveal the links to some of the basic settings and pointed out that my Do Not Disturb feature was turned on. It's the quarter-moon icon along the top row of icons. She turned DND off and my phone has worked fine since.

my iPhone 5s doesn't ring or give text alerts every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.