Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 unlocked

I got this answer from Apple representative.

Initial release of iphone6 is for telcom (att, tmobile etc), thats why iphone6 page is missing "sim-free" option.

And even though you are paying huge $$$ for tmobile version, it will still be locked, it will just not be in contract.

And for sim-free version, we will have to wait bit more...not sure how long.

I know many readers must be thinking, this all is obvious, but it was not for me. So posting it here.

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 6:08 PM

29 replies

Sep 10, 2014 7:10 PM in response to carl wolf

my question to Apple support was, when i can buy SIM-FREE version of iPhone 6, and they responded what they responded. not sure what i missed.

I am not saying sim-free is contract free, i am just saying if they are putting expensive item (tmobile contract free) available on very first day, then why not "sim-free" too.

if you see iPhone 5s page http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s or any similar page in past, they put contract free version and sim-free in similar bucket, i am not saying same but they are similar from price point. so why not release sim-free version with all other options.

Sep 11, 2014 12:08 PM in response to nantongzds

Can you buy that? Yes, you can.

Can you ask them to unlock for you? Yes, you can ask them.

However, there is no guarantee they will unlock it. Some require you to fulfill your 2 year

contract before unlocking while some require you to be a customer in good standing

for as little as 40 days before you can request an unlock. There does not appear to be

an option of buy a totally unlocked iPhone on launch day.

Sep 12, 2014 12:58 PM in response to BBHustla

Eda is wrong. That would have been true last year when the 5s was released and even then only worked if you purchased the phone directly from an Apple Store. Within a month it was stopped.

But go ahead and buy it based on her word and let us know how it works out. Just remember if it doesn't work you need to return it within 14 days and you may have to wait a while to get one.

Iphone 6 unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.