Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable volume on USB flash drive in boot camp

Hello,

I am trying to put Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro, and I just got a new USB drive for the Apple windows support software. When I choose the size of what I want to give to the new windows side, and I get a error message saying I can not continue because boot camp assistant needs to disable a "bootable volume" in order to continue. I have the windows 7 disc in my possession so. Can someone please explain what this is and how I can fix this issue? I really need to have windows on my Mac here pretty soon. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 5:27 PM

31 replies

Sep 11, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Csound1

Sorry I had work all day. The message says: Boot Camp needs to update the USB drive before installing windows 7, below that it says: The USB drive connected to this Mac contains a bootable volume. In order to install Windows 7 from the DVD, the Boot Camp Assistant needs to disable this functionality. No information on the drive will be removed, do you want to continue. Then if you continue it says Status: Partitioned disk, then a error comes up saying: Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occurred while partitioning the disk.

Thanks for your help guys!! Its greatly appreciated!

Sep 11, 2014 7:41 PM in response to StoB14

If the USB was created during a prior failed attempt to install windows, the USB needs to be erased/formatted as FAT32/DOS-FAT and Bootcamp assistant needs to have the check boxes for downloading the Bootcamp drivers and using the ISO to rebuild the USB, partition the internal hard disk, and continue the Windows installer.

Bootable volume on USB flash drive in boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.