Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copying an ntfs hard drive

i have a wd external hard drive formatted in ntfs and am now buying my 1st mb air. if i buy a new mac approved hard drive and copy all my old files to the new hard drive using my pc, will i be able to both read and write on my new mac book? what if i used the mac book to copy the 2 hard drives to take advantage of the faster usb 3's would that still work?

thanks in advance for all your help

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 7:02 PM

10 replies

Sep 10, 2014 7:34 PM in response to jon3000

OS X cannot natively write to NTFS, but it can read.

Windows can neither read nor write to HFS+, natively.

Both can read/write FAT32, exFAT.

You can purchase third-party software for both Windows and OS X that will allow reading/writing the opposite filesystem formats.

Paragon and Tuxera make the OS X software. The only Windows software I know of is called MacDrive.

All* hard drives are “Mac approved,” they just might not be formatted for a Mac, or they come bundled with useless software that only runs on Windows.

*I’m sure you might be able to find one you can never make work on a Mac, but it generally doesn’t matter what is printed on the carton.

Sep 10, 2014 8:43 PM in response to jon3000

Yes, you could do that. Just format the new drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (see below).

You could also just plug in the drive to the Mac and you could read the drive without issue. You wouldn’t be able to make any changes to the files, but you could copy them to another location.

You could install one of the NTFS helpers I mentioned above and be able to both Read and Write to the NTFS drive as is.

Here is how to format the drive for Mac-only use:

1. Open Disk Utility:
    • If you're started from a Mac OS X installation disc, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
    • If you're started from your computer's Mac OS X volume, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder. You can get there by choosing Utilities from the Finder's Go menu.
  2. Select the disk you want to partition (that is, the disk you want to install Mac OS X on. The disk contains size and model number of the drive, not "Macintosh HD" or a name you chose.
  3. Click the Partition tab in the Disk Utility window. If the partition tab is not visible, make sure you've selected the disk (not volume) in the left side of the window.
    Tip: In Disk Utility, volume names are indented on the left side of the window. Disk names are not indented.
  4. Choose the desired number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu. It's OK to choose "1 Partition" if you only want one.
  5. Click Options.
    Note: On some Intel-based Macs, the Options button does not appear under the partition tab. Use the erase tab to erase the disk instead. This will change the partition scheme to the default "GUID Partition Scheme". You can then use the partition tab to create additional partitions if desired.
  6. From the Partition Scheme pop-up menu, choose "GUID Partition Scheme".
  7. Click OK.
  8. Make any other changes you wish in the Volume Information section, such as partition size(s) or naming.
  9. Click the Partition button to erase your disk and install the new partition scheme.

Sep 10, 2014 8:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

thanks for the quick reply. So to be clear, if I just buy a new seagate external that's formatted specifically for macs and plug both my new and old hard drives into a new MacBook Air, i should be able to copy everything from the wd hard drive (that's in Ntfs), paste if to the new seagate and then use it fully (ie both read and write files)? Thanks again for your help, I spent 45 minutes in an apple store today and no one there seemed to be able to assist me.

Sep 11, 2014 1:50 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

OS X cannot natively write to NTFS, but it can read.

Windows can neither read nor write to HFS+, natively.

Both can read/write FAT32, exFAT.

You can purchase third-party software for both Windows and OS X that will allow reading/writing the opposite filesystem formats.

Paragon and Tuxera make the OS X software. The only Windows software I know of is called MacDrive.

MacDrive is not the only way, Paragon HFS is available and preferable..

User uploaded file

Sep 11, 2014 7:52 AM in response to jon3000

Macs can as standard read the following formats

HFS+

FAT16

FAT32

exFAT

NTFS

and Macs can as standard write to all of those except NTFS

Windows can read

FAT16

FAT32

exFAT

NTFS

and Windows can write to all of those.

There is software for Windows to let it read and write to HFS+ but in general you have to buy this. There is software for Mac to let it write to NTFS but in general you have to buy this.

In your case if your looking for a format for an external drive to share between Mac and Windows the best option is to use exFAT as both operating systems fully support this format and this format has no size limitations unlike FAT32. The only issue with exFAT is that it cannot be used as a boot drive but it sounds like that is not what you want anyway.

copying an ntfs hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.