Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommend iMac for use with Motion 5

Hello,

My MBPro 2008 15'' screen is just too small to use Motion and I have a little bit of ADD. Everything is just too close together.

Can someone recommend the minimum powered large screened iMac (used) I could get used that would

suffice with using Motion 5 ? I found the minimum sys requirements for Motion but I wonder what year iMac

would work with it.

Motion ran fine under 10.6.8 on my MBPro.

Thanks,

Al

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 12:25 PM

If you want to run Snow Leopard on an iMac, then you would need a model from Mid-2011 or earlier. These models came with Snow Leopard versions on the discs that came with the computer. If you buy used, then you must be sure those original discs are included because the retail Snow Leopard DVD will not work until you get to the down to the Late 2009 or earlier models.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2014 12:25 PM in response to UCanCallMeAl

If you want to run Snow Leopard on an iMac, then you would need a model from Mid-2011 or earlier. These models came with Snow Leopard versions on the discs that came with the computer. If you buy used, then you must be sure those original discs are included because the retail Snow Leopard DVD will not work until you get to the down to the Late 2009 or earlier models.

Sep 12, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hey there,

Is Snow Leopard the oldest OS that will run Motion 5 well ? Asking this in case I found a used iMac .

I looked at the sys requirements for Motion http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/motion/specs/

and if I could find an iMac cheaply with those requirements I'd buy.

I didn't think Motion could be used with an external monitor? Could you tell me more about how that would work ?

Does this having something to do with "Show Share Monitor" under Share heading?

So I'm moving my mouse around connected to the MBPro but looking at the external monitor..... Never used an external

monitor before with MBPro but if that would give me more screen real estate without sacrifices I'd do it . Any external monitor

brand will do I suppose.

Thanks a bunch.

Al

Sep 12, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Ok great.

I assume it's the same for Maverick and that the "Arrangement" option in sys prefs shows up after you get the 2nd monitor plugged in. There is no arrangement right now in my sys prefs. under Displays.

I went to Apple Store today to get right cable to go from MBPro to a 2nd monitor I had that has an HDMI port. Will test tomorrow and report back and mark solved. This could change my whole Motion outlook.

Thanks,

Al

Recommend iMac for use with Motion 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.