Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I delete some photos from my iphone 5c? There is no trash bin at the bottom of some of the photos so what option do I have to delete these photos?

How do I delete photos from iphone 5c? Some photos do not include a trash bin at the bottom of the page. What are my options?

iPhone 5c

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 4:58 AM

Hey, I had the same issue, what I did to fix it was create a folder in my pictures album with nothing it and name it something random. I than synced my iPhone with that random album and it than got rid of the old the photos I had synced originally to my iPhone that couldn't be taken off. After that I just un synced it from the random empty folder I made and bam, I had my free space finally! 🙂 Hope that helps! 🙂

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2014 4:58 AM in response to rakishchick

Hey, I had the same issue, what I did to fix it was create a folder in my pictures album with nothing it and name it something random. I than synced my iPhone with that random album and it than got rid of the old the photos I had synced originally to my iPhone that couldn't be taken off. After that I just un synced it from the random empty folder I made and bam, I had my free space finally! 🙂 Hope that helps! 🙂

Sep 11, 2014 2:46 PM in response to Girl George

To delete photos and/or albums that were copied to your iPhone by syncing with your computer are deleted by doing another sync. start iTunes on the computer and connect your phone. Select your phone in iTunes and select the Photos tab. Then DESELECT the items you no long want on the Phone. Then click on Apply or sync. The photos or albums will be removed from your iPhone but they will remain on your computer.

Dec 25, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Girl George

Noyboy89 is right, and I figured out why: when you click on the icon for your iPhone in iTunes, and then click on Photos, you'll see "Sync Photos" and the default in the drop down menu is iPhoto. But if you previously synced photos from your computer to your iPhone from some folder or application other than iPhoto, then syncing with iPhoto won't get rid of the photos on your iPhone that came from somewhere else.

So, if you follow Noyboy's suggestion, then you'll get rid of the photos on the iPhone because you're syncing from a new folder that's got no photos in it.

Feb 21, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Girl George

It's actually more involved than any of these posts have mentioned. I just found out the hard way to completely delete photos from the iPhone.

Step 1: Back-up your photos to a computer. Make sure that you have any pictures you want to save already downloaded to iPhoto or some other place. I'm not a huge iPhoto fan, but it was the easiest place to put the pictures from photostream and then move them elsewhere on my computer.

Step 2: Turn off photostream. This deletes any pictures from the photostream on the phone or tablet.

Step 3: Plug the iPhone/iPad into any Mac computer and open the Image Capture app. Now select your device and you see that most of the pictures are in there twice. Now select BOTH COPIES of any that you want to delete and press the delete button on the bottom of the window (it's the red circle with a slash through it). DO NOT SELECT ONE COPY AND LEAVE THE OTHER THINKING THAT IT WILL STAY ON THE DEVICE...ask me why I know.

Step 4: Open iTunes and be pleasantly surprised that the 40000 gigs of space spent on photos has dropped to near zero.

Step 5: Like this post to help bump it to the top and help people clear wasted data from their iPhone/iPad.

Apr 27, 2015 6:21 PM in response to Noyboy89

Thank you for this tip - it's removed 4GB of mysterious "other" on my iPhone. No matter how many times I synced the iPhone, with instructions in iTunes to NOT sync photos, photos remained in the library - and I couldn't delete them within the photos app, because they were supposedly there because they'd been synced.

So what I did, following your advice: in iTunes, I turned "Sync Photos" back on, but syncing to just one empty album in iPhoto. I synced photos, and that finally got rid of all the other photos that should have been eliminated long ago. Not only did the "Photos" allocation of memory drop from 3GB to 200MB (which shows something is still wrong, because that's for two photos - and there should be none - and there's no way the photos should be 100MB in size), the "Other" allocation dropped from 6GB to 2GB.

Now I just hope the change sticks. That "Other" has a habit of creeping up.

why can't I delete some photos from my iphone 5c? There is no trash bin at the bottom of some of the photos so what option do I have to delete these photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.