Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending Airport Extreme from Airport Time Capsule

Just bought a new Airport Time Capsule 3TB for backup purposes and to use as the main router in my home (model number A1470 the latest tall one). I was originally using an AirPort Extreme (model number 1408 approx 6" square and 1' tall) for my main router.

I got the TC setup and putting out good wifi signal, but would like to take my Extreme and extend it off the TC to boost signal in other parts of my house, but having some difficulty. I searched the forums and found setup instructions to do this, but I get a message saying, "unexpected error. Try again." Well, tried again and still no luck.

Am I doing something wrong or are these two devices not able to do what I'm asking?

Thanks

Airport Extreme-OTHER

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 1:01 PM

1 reply

Sep 11, 2014 10:44 PM in response to tomclark73

There are several ways to configure an AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Express

base stations; since they can be used together if set correctly, to 'extend a network'.

Also, you could create a limited 'wireless bridge' with only some wi-fi aspects intact.

•Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

The variety of reasons one may extend the range or network, and what one may do with it,

can affect the results; in that a two-band base station supports different products who may

prefer one frequency over another, and when several are added to one IP provider source

the overall effect may be a weak signal with less total range, even when extended.

There are several links in the Support database here:

•AirPort + Wi-Fi - airport base stations - Apple support:

https://ssl.apple.com/support/airport/basestations/

You may find hints & tall tails in other ASC discussion fables:

Extending Time Capsule wireless network with an Airport Extreme

•How to Extend New Airport with Older AirPort Extreme:

http://mclarenblog.com/?p=2591

Since there are conditional setup methods to get things to work, you may find slight

differences in a process can make a functional change in result. Also, be sure to

have spare cables of known good quality, where they are needed, to troubleshoot.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Extending Airport Extreme from Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.