Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule, external hard drive, iTunes media library

Hi,

i want to setup my time capsule, at the same time I want to export my iTunes library to an external harddrive. following questions:

- I setup my time capsule currently only as wifi, not yet as a backup medium

- how do I set this whole thing up and in what sequence?

- I want to use movies purchased on iTunes from the library and not from the store, possible? Not via Apple TV I assume but via iTunes?

- I want to access movies located on the external hard drive from anywhere in my home network, possible?

I need to do this as I moved from usa to Europe and have To change my apple store. Before I change the store I need to download all movies to an external harddrive otherwise I cannot use them anymore due to license issues. Apple cannot help me here unfortunately.

the change is also necessary as staying in the US store causes more and more complications.

ideas are welcome!

thanks!

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 2:25 PM

5 replies

Sep 11, 2014 5:22 PM in response to DonStronzo

You can relocate your iTunes to an external hard disk .. plugged into the computer that is fine.. using it on a hard drive plugged into the TC is not so OK.. it can work but it will be slow.

- I want to use movies purchased on iTunes from the library and not from the store, possible? Not via Apple TV I assume but via iTunes?

Yes, you can use the iTunes library to store and play the movie. it has to run from iTunes on the computer. I am not sure I understand the last bit about apple TV.. it is simply a streamer.. (unless you have Gen1 which can store movies on the hard disk). The Apple TV connects to your iTunes running on a computer. The TC has nothing to do with this, other than being part of the network.

Note the TC has no media extensions nor is it media aware.. it is a dumb wireless router.. that is all.

- I want to access movies located on the external hard drive from anywhere in my home network, possible?

Access movies is fine.. read Apple prescribed method.

iTunes: How to share music and video

There is a lot of links to home sharing.

Again the TC is irrelevant to this, other than it ties the network.. but a switch or any other router could be doing that.. so the TC is of no particular use here.

For backups just setup TM in the computer to backup to the TC.. that is standard part of the setup.. and there is nothing particular in the TC required for that.. other than it plugs into the main router.. so exists as part of the network.

Sep 12, 2014 2:08 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi,

thank you for your quick response! highly appreciated.

I do not need to link the TC to the external hard drive. I just try to find a proper way to backup all my files from my PC (apple) and in future maybe the external hard drive.

I have to download approximately 15 movies to a hard drive and think that this will overload my storage capacity on my PC. therefore the idea was to use an external hard drive and then access the movies either via Apple-TV or ipad/Mac an mirror to Apple-TV. Is this possible?

Is it also possible to make backups from the Mac and from an external hard drive to the TC? Then I assume I have to find a way to access the movies on the external drive in a different way; or can I split iTunes and have two libraries on two storage locations?

If this is all too complicated what is the best way to set this up under the mentioned circumstances.

Thanks anyway for help.

Sep 12, 2014 6:16 AM in response to DonStronzo

It helps if you tell us what your main Mac is.. a desktop in which case an external drive is no problem.. just plug in by USB3 or FW800 or at worst USB2.. at best is thunderbolt but very expensive.

Move the library to the external drive.. you don't need to split the library just have it on the external drive. Then you can access any movie over the network using Apple TV and itunes on the computer.. where the movie is stored is irrelevant.. itunes will stream it to the Apple TV.

The external drive can then just be added to the backup in Time Machine.

On the other hand if you have a laptop.. and plugging in an external drive is inconvenient then buy a mac mini.. doesn't need to be new.. couple of years old with your movie collection.. and you can plug it straight into the TV. Mac mini makes a great media centre/HTPC..

It is better to use a computer than to try and use other methods if you are using Apple systems for this. Apple is stuck to itunes.. due to copyright and highly sensitive to any use outside of guidelines.. the guide for using in home sharing I have already posted for you.

Time capsule, external hard drive, iTunes media library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.