Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match basics - I just don't get it

I subscribed to iTunes Match thinking it would replace my lower-bitrate tracks with 256kbps tracks. So Match did it's think for a day or so, and then it was done. But I'm confused; here's what I have.

• 9506 total items
  • 6831 where iCloud status "matched"
  • 1855 where iCloud status is "uploaded"
  • The rest (just a few) in other statuses

What I'm confused about is why not all of the 6831 "matched" tracks are 256kbps. Virtually all are the same 128kbps bitrate that I encoded them with. What's going on? Why would anyone join if matched tracks are not improved?

Also--there's an iCloud Download status column displayed, but the overwhelming majority of my tracks have NOTHING in that column.

Help me out here, I just don't get it.

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 5:47 PM

3 replies

Sep 11, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Kappy

OK, one of those links offered this info:

"

Matched songs in your local library will not automatically be transcoded to 256 kbps AAC. To obtain a higher quality transcoding, download the matched songs from iCloud.

But on the computer which contains my iTunes library, most tracks do not have the download option. On OTHER computers, they all have the download option. Also--if I download the tracks, won't I have two copies of each track? Who would want that?

iTunes Match basics - I just don't get it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.