Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Migration?

Going to some new hardware (SSD) to create a new boot volume with Mavericks. Want to start as clean and fresh as I can. I KNOW if I use Migration Assistant, there will be some old and no longer useful items in my users Library & Preference folders. I don't think any of that has much impact on running it, and I do plan to gradually toss most of the stuff that I recognize are no longer needed. If anyone thinks I'd get a gotcha, let me know. I will NOT migrate any applications as I have TONS of those on my current system that I no longer need (most work related and I'm retired).

But the real question has to do with MA itself. Several OS X versions ago, I found that I HAD to create a user account with the exact same short name on the target system. I WOULD like to "migrate" to a new short name account... will the Mavericks Migration Assistant allow that?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mid 2010, 6 core Westmere single CP

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 11:02 AM

Hi Riverside_Guy,

One solution to what you are trying to do - that is migrate your user folder to a new username - would be to go ahead and do the migration under the old username and then change the username once you got the files to the new computer. This article explains how to do the username change -

OS X: How to change your account name or home directory name

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Riverside_Guy

Hi Riverside_Guy,

One solution to what you are trying to do - that is migrate your user folder to a new username - would be to go ahead and do the migration under the old username and then change the username once you got the files to the new computer. This article explains how to do the username change -

OS X: How to change your account name or home directory name

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Sep 15, 2014 4:56 AM in response to Brett L

Wow, a while back when I looked into doing such, there was no "Apple way" to do it, or at least none that I learned about and I DID reach out to the community (at large) to see IF there was a way, and the responses I got heavily involved sudo commands with many caveats it may not work.

So thanks so much, it is gratifying to see someone from the mothership address questions in the user community. I doubt you're directly responsible, but do us a favor and light a fire under getting a revised iTunes release out, 11.4 is vexing MANY folks including myself!

Mavericks Migration?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.