Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access Mac OS X screen sharing from outside my local network?

Is it possible to use the screen sharing feature from outside my local area network? I would like to be able to share screens with relatives with Macs so I can help them or they can help me, which ever. I presently have had some success with the use of the Messages > Buddies screen sharing feature through Jabber, but sometimes it doesn't work. The other option is use some service like join.me or team viewer. I would prefer to a program like screen sharing, but without having to deal with my router. Is this possible and if so how?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 9:47 AM

7 replies

Sep 12, 2014 10:21 AM in response to sperry1975

Screen sharing is a direct peer to peer connection designed for the device to be on the same network you are (internal or VPN). It is possible to screen share to an external device, however the device would have to be natted through a router/firewall to have direct internet access which I strongly recommend against.

Your two best options are the ones you listed with TeamViewer or join.me. I find join.me with Mac's to be buggy and less reliable; it is a better application for Windows. I personally use TeamViewer now that LogMeIn is no longer free and find it works well especially with the un-attended access. The TeamViewer web console still needs a lot of work, but if you use the desktop client it works well.

Sep 13, 2014 4:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Back to my Mac is good for loving onto your own computer with your own Apple user id and password. It won't work for using with other peoples computers. That's what apple tells me. I had hoped there was a way or a software package other than team viewer I could use to screen share with friends and family. It's rather sad that apple has not developed such an app.

How to access Mac OS X screen sharing from outside my local network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.