Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone does NOT disconnect when GM vehicle turned off.

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 crew cab truck. I successfully paired my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1.2) to the vehicle and made and received calls using the voice command, etc. Recently, when I turn off the truck, the phone remains connected to the vehicle even after I open the door and walk away. I have had the truck remain connected while I am inside my home or office but still in proximity to the vehicle.

How do you have the vehicle (or phone) automatically disconnect when it is turned off? The GM dealer told me it was a problem with the phone - not the truck - and that I needed to determine if there were any Verizon updates. My understanding is that iOS 7.1.2 is the latest - and I find it hard to believe that the phone is causing the truck bluetooth to stay active when the key is removed and I've exited the vehicle. In my mind it is clearly an issue with the truck.

Also note that this vehicle has OnStar and the voice commands allow you to use either your iPhone or the OnStar service.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 2:23 PM

The only reason the iPhone would remain contacted to the Bluetooth in the truck is if is still broadcasting. It seems there is a problem with the vehicle turning off Bluetooth when you turn off the vehicle. The iPhone should disconnect from the device if Bluetooth isn't available.

16 replies

Sep 16, 2014 3:51 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks for the GM link Chris CA...Hope the future update works for my issue. Seems to have annoyed a lot of GM owners!

With my old 4S I could be on Bluetooth and turn off truck (2009 Silverado) and pull keys out and still be connected and when my call is done it then disconnects. To reconnect I would just restart truck or turn key to accessories.

Sep 17, 2014 8:29 PM in response to icmurf

I am having the same problem. I have had the 5s paired to my Cadillac srx for a year with no problems. Suddenly, my phone is staying connected to the car after the car is turned off and I am in the house. I have missed calls since they are ringing inside my car in the garage. I have been on the phone with onstar and they think the cars' Bluetooth is not disconnecting when the car is turned off. Look at your onstar buttons, I have a green light that is staying on. On star says that is evidence that the onstar is not disconnecting. They recommend I take the car into the dealer. You might want to consider it is the gm vehicle and not your phone. I have an appointment for gm to look at this on the 25th. I'll post if they solve the problem.

Sep 18, 2014 10:00 AM in response to Up4Math

I contacted GM yesterday and they said it was indeed a GM issue and that they have a solution (see below response from GM). They said it would have to go to a dealer and be updated. Hopefully this will work and I will post back whether there solution works.

GM Infotainment

Infotainment@gmexpert.com

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting the General Motors Infotainment
Customer Support group. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to reach
out to us.

The information you requested is as follows:

#PIT5319: OnStar Staying Powered Up With LED On And/Or
Bluetooth Stays Connected After RAP Is Canceled - (Sep 8, 2014)

Sep 23, 2014 9:04 AM in response to icmurf

My 2009 Silverado issue has been resolved, below is the procedure I used to fix through a GM fix. Hopefully it will work for others with different phones and vehicles.

On the OnStar device press the phone button once and wait on response

Then say "Digit dial" wait for response

Then say "star key" wait for response

then say 22890 dial...you will have to say each number one at a time and wait for response then continue with numbers. Once done with numbers say dial.

if done correctly you will hear a voice confirming and reprogramming OnStar. Once complete turnoff vehicle remove keys and close door. Re-enter vehicle and give it a try.

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONES BLUETOOTH IS OFF BEFORE BEGINING.

Hope this helps others!

Oct 3, 2014 8:40 PM in response to coastalwetlands

This worked perfectly for my 2009 Traverse. Problem was driving us nuts for about 2 weeks. Thanks for saving us a visit to the dealer.

If you follow the steps in coastalwetlands post right before this one, dated 9/24/14, it reprograms OnStar and stops the problem where Bluetooth won't power off. We too had problems where the car would answer phone calls with the car off and Retained Accessory Power off as well. My wife was wondering why she could not hear anything after the phone rang. She only figured out the problem after hearing my voice coming out of her car in the driveway.

Thanks again to coastalwetlands for posting the solution to this very peculiar problem.

iPhone does NOT disconnect when GM vehicle turned off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.