Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get automounting share points with to appear on user's computers?

I recently purchased Sever 10.6, and upgraded to 10.6.8. I'm running it on a 2006 MacBook Pro with 4GB (only 3GB are addressed on this model). I really only need it for one thing: to serve 4 external drives to my home network. But I can't do this: I want to set up automounting share points with custom paths so that on login the disks appear on the user's desktop and/or in the sidebar. Clients range from 10.6.8 to 10.8.x to 10.9.x.

I've tried setting the sharepoints. I don't know what to put in for a custom path; trial and error has gotten me nothing. I don't want home directories, libraries or application folders - I just want those disks shared to computers on my network.

The little manual that comes with it is not helpful. If there's a written document somewhere that is specific about this, I'd be happy to just read it myself.

Thanks!

Sean

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 2:49 PM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2014 2:42 PM in response to Sean Hayes1

Hi Sean Hayes1,

Volumes, including server volumes, that mount at startup are controlled on the client computer using System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items. The preference pane says this is for applications you want to launch at startup, but it also works for network mounts. See this article -

OS X Mavericks: Login Items pane of Users & Groups preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14413

To add a new volume -

To have an item open automatically at login, click Add (+), then select the item.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Sep 18, 2014 1:10 PM in response to Sean Hayes1

Hi Sean,

The easiest way to do this would be to mount the volume in question on the client computer, then set up the login item in System Preferences as above, using the mounted disk as your object. So, for example, if you have the mounted volume on the Desktop, click the "+" button and go to the desktop, selecting the mounted volume.

Best,

Brett L

How do I get automounting share points with to appear on user's computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.