Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find User folder in my Mac desktop/Mavericks

Where is the User folder located? I am trying to fix an iPhoto problem and need to go to User/Library/references folder. Users is hidden now.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 6:54 PM

Your User folder isn't hidden (or shouldn't be). It is at /Users/ or cmd-shift-h in Finder.

The user Library has been hidden since Mountain Lion. However, it is simple to reveal.

To temporarily reveal it, in Finder, hold down the Option key (alt) and select Library from the Go menu.

To display it always, select your Home folder (cmd-shift-h) and Show View Options (cmd-j). Check the box to show the Library.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2014 6:54 PM in response to lynntom

Your User folder isn't hidden (or shouldn't be). It is at /Users/ or cmd-shift-h in Finder.

The user Library has been hidden since Mountain Lion. However, it is simple to reveal.

To temporarily reveal it, in Finder, hold down the Option key (alt) and select Library from the Go menu.

To display it always, select your Home folder (cmd-shift-h) and Show View Options (cmd-j). Check the box to show the Library.

Sep 12, 2014 6:57 PM in response to lynntom

The easiest way to get to the Library for a particular user is to be logged on as that user, open Finder, go to the Finder "Go" menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and hold down the Option key for Library to appear.

You can navigate to the Users folder by opening finder and double-clicking Users at the bottom of the Finder window. However, Library won't normally be visible without doing something like the Go menu with option key.

Sep 12, 2014 6:55 PM in response to lynntom

If the computer running Mavericks is not updated to OS X 10.9.4, it may have

an issue that was noted by some earlier Mavericks version users, where their

User folder was sometimes hidden; this was fixed in the update to v. 10.9.4.

Since you don't say what Mavericks step your system may be using, that

may leave someone reading your issue, faced with asking extra questions.

You could see if changing the View, of hard disk drive content, will help you

find the Users folder content. Also you may be able to use Spotlight search.

Some users have the Apple face icon in the Dock, set to open their user acct.

Anyway, hopefully you can find the missing folder.

Like find Waldo, from years ago; hiding in your Mac. 🙂

Sep 12, 2014 8:24 PM in response to K Shaffer

I do have 10.9.4.

I think my problem with finding a User Folder is I am the only user of my Mac. Maybe that is why the folder doesn't appear. I remember when using past OS systems seeing that folder on the bottom of my home column. I did need to find the Library folder due to other replies. Thank you for the suggestion. I should have remembered to detail the version.

Sep 13, 2014 5:22 PM in response to Eric Root

In past OS systems, when I would scroll down the column to the right of the sidebar while in column view, the very bottom folder was User. I could click on that and get a Shared folder. Now I am the only person using my computer, which may be why there is no User or Shared folders. My home folder is easy to locate in my sidebar.

Sep 13, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

In past OS systems, when I would scroll down the column to the right of the side bar while in column view, the very bottom folder was User. I could click on that and get a Shared folder. Now I am the only person using my computer, which may be why there is no User or Shared folders. My home folder is easy to locate in my sidebar.

Sep 13, 2014 5:37 PM in response to lynntom

Sorry, I still have no idea what you are describing. The bottom folder in Column View will be the last folder in the sorting sequence. It’s never been any different.

Was it possibly the Path Bar? You can enable that in the View menu. However, it wouldn’t always be your Home folder. Most of the time it would start there since most things you do would be in your Home.

I can't find User folder in my Mac desktop/Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.