Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library will not open

I have OSX 10.9.4, iPhoto version 9.5.1 When I open iPhoto, message says ‘which photo library do you want to use?’. No library is shown so I click ‘other library’ and I can see my library but it will not open. No spinning beach ball even. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), iPhoto 9.5.1

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 10:50 PM

5 replies

Sep 12, 2014 11:18 PM in response to Simon Cottrell

Sounds like the library is damaged. Sure fire fix: restore from back up. Other things worth trying:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Sep 13, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Simon Cottrell

If you're unable to run the first aid on your library with iPhoto give this a try:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 9:58 AM in response to zurine

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e..

So instead of tacking on to this topic start a new topic of your own with the following information:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • what do you see in the iPhoto window when iPhoto opens?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

iPhoto library will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.