Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD/DVD ejects after Mavericks update, software issue

Updated a 2008 15" MacBook Pro to Mavericks, then Apple store updated incrementally. Superdrive now ejects any disc put into it, external Plextor combo drive fails to recognize already burned media. Have reset NVRAM and SMC several times, done a re-install of 10.9.4 and tried several preferences related suggestions from web searches. Bluetooth on/off, etc. Nothing seems to work. Interestingly, Plextor drive can be mounted by Parallels VMs (Linux Mint 14.17 and Ubuntu) and writes if owned by VM.

This issue started intermittently from Mavericks 10.9.2 and is now total at 10.9.4. Media disc's do not start iTunes post install and in case of external drive are not recognized as written media.

Anyone have any new ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Post Update issue

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 10:06 PM

3 replies

Sep 13, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, Swing and a miss.

Note in my description I'd already tested multiple discs and could write via a Linux VM - ON THE SAME HARDWARE. This is clearly a software issue, either a third party conflict or a nerfed upgrade file between 10.9.2 to 10.9.4 where I noticed it.

As it happens, I can add a fix - OnyX (ver 2.8.7). Ran the OnyX Maintenance tool to rebuild permissions (previously done via Disk Utility to no effect). Followed that with a Rebuild of LaunchServices and dyld's shared cache. System reboot follows. System now recognizes internal superdrive media and launches iTunes. Will spin up Plextor external drive disk but still sees mount as blank media, not an existing media disk, so that part is TBD.

Feb 3, 2015 9:31 AM in response to zoned

FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR INTERNAL SUPERDRIVE

This might help. If you haven't done so yet, try installing Apple's SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0, which is on Apple's support site at http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201953 to see if that resolves it. Although it's not specifically for that problem, the firmware update seems to be important for making external SuperDrives work in Yosemite, and it is one step I used to get my SuperDrive to work in a USB external case when plugged into my MacBook Pro.

Please let us know either way, whether the firmware update helps or not in your situation

CD/DVD ejects after Mavericks update, software issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.