Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to transfer a copy of Windows from a MacBook to a MacBook Air, can it be done?

I want to know if I will be able to use my MB to transfer a copy of Windows to my MB Air, using the optical drive from the MB?

MacBook White 13", Mac OS X (10.5.6), iMac

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 6:02 AM

Parallel's Desktop Virtual Machine v9 claims it supports Remote Disc from another machine as an install media selection. I believe Boot Camp desires a physical attached DVD drive, or an .ISO Windows installer.

4 replies

Sep 13, 2014 8:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

I'd like to confirm the Boot Camp option, if anyone else has a definitive answer? I prefer Boot Camp, as I have owned Parallels and VmWare before and I have not liked how it works. They add a complexity to the use I intend Windows for, update the firmware and program a radio scanner. However, I'm hoping I could use the optical drive of my MacBook to transfer a copy of Windows. This way I could save the money for purchasing an external drive plus a new copy of Windows 8.1.

Sep 13, 2014 11:44 AM in response to garivera

Before I posted my previous reply, I had looked at the online manual for Mavericks Boot Camp, and several pages of search results. Boot Camp does not mention Remote Disc, only internal/external DVD hardware, or .ISO. Internet searches returned various guesses, but no definitive, no you can't use Remote Disc.

However, here is an Apple Article that walks you through creating an .ISO from your Windows DVD on your MB. Once you have that on your MBA (either via USB Stick) or System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing), you will need a fresh 16GB USB 2/3 stick, that Boot Camp will use to place the .ISO and Apple Windows drivers on prior to installation. Use the preceding link, and the Boot Camp online documentation (the Open Boot Camp Help button) to get Win 8.1 installed on your Air.

Here are some FAQ regarding Boot Camp 5.1.

I want to transfer a copy of Windows from a MacBook to a MacBook Air, can it be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.