Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find Serial Number for FCP 6

My main drive in my 2006 MacPro has gone down and in seeking to use FCP 6 backed up on another drive I find that Apple is demanding the serial number and I can't find it even though they say it is in the packaging which I still have. Anyone? T.I.A.

Ron

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 10:12 AM

17 replies

Sep 13, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Olespice

You should find the serial number stuck on the front cover of a document titled "Installing Your Software" towards the bottom of the Page.

The stick-on label reads "Product Serial Number. Required to install your Apple software."

There are 2 peelable labels with the same number, one of which may have been removed and stuck on the small black box containing the discs.

Sep 13, 2014 2:13 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

I found a number which appears to be a serial number on a sticker placed on my FCP 2 disk envelope but it isn't recognised. All my FCP progs are updates. I'm at a complete loss here and Apple doesn't seem to want to assist. I would have thought that as I've used their system for so many years they would have a record sufficient to allow me to fully use it.

Sep 13, 2014 3:38 PM in response to Olespice

Olespice wrote:

I found a number which appears to be a serial number on a sticker placed on my FCP 2 disk envelope but it isn't recognised. All my FCP progs are updates. I'm at a complete loss here and Apple doesn't seem to want to assist. I would have thought that as I've used their system for so many years they would have a record sufficient to allow me to fully use it.

Numbers and letters are used in triplets, 3 numbers then 3 letters.

Watch for mixing up a Capital O and 0 zero, I and 1 etc.

Al

Sep 14, 2014 12:32 AM in response to Alchroma

I think my real problem here is that all my versions of FCP from 2 to 6 are upgrades from that first one and the serial number is therefore not available anywhere so far as I can tell.

Apple has discontinued support for the older FCP system and I think hat's where my real difficulty lies. Apple simply won't play ball, even though I've spend thousands on their systems. If anyone can tell me how to overcome such a difficulty I would be more than pleased. Having backed up the info then finding this block on my usage is very disheartening.

Sep 14, 2014 3:51 AM in response to Olespice

Copied this from CreativeCOW

"When you insert you UPGRADEdiscs, FCP asks you first for the serial number OF THOSE UPGRADEDISCS,
later (I'm, not sure at what stage, probably at the end) FCP asks you for the serial number OF YOUR ORIGINAL DISCS."

Upgrade number first then original number later.If you don't have an original disc( previous version) number then you cannot proceed.

You don't say whether you have any previous version Serial Numbers? Unless the number you have on your disc envelope is a previous number??

Have you tried installing from the discs themselves instead of from "your backup"?

Also, just wondering, if FCPX being installed is causing any issues?

Again from CreativeCOW

"Just so you know, FCS won't install if FCPX is in the applications folder. The fix is simply to temporarily put FCPX (motion 5 and compressor 4 too) into a subfolder within the applications folder, install FCS and update it, move FCS to a new folder in applications, and finally, put FCPX (M5 & C4 too) back into the root of Applications. If FCS is installed first, FCPX automatically moves FCS into a subfolderfor you."

Sep 14, 2014 4:14 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

First - My FCPX is on my 2011 27" iMac - quite separate. I use both FCP X and 6 for various jobs.

At present I have the systems FCP 5 and 6 disks. Nowhere outside the disks is there a serial number for me to use but, as you say, I might be able to use those two lots of disks to re-install my FCP 6, provided there are serial numbers to obtain from within the relevant disks? It's so long ago when I last dabbled with the changes but it seems you just may have led me to a possible solution . . .

Where do I find Serial Number for FCP 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.