Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Backup Session Failed.

Hello Everyone,

Today I noticed that my "Other" Data was hitting 2.8GB so I performed a manual backup onto my computer at the normal path. The backup completed and the files appeared to be all there. The backup was done in iOS 7.1.1. After this, I updated iTunes and performed the Restore on iPhone, which updated to iOS 7.1.2 (latest version). After seeing that everything had restored properly, I clicked "Restore Backup" and chose the file. After some time, it would stop and provide the following error message: "iTunes could not restore iPhone because the backup session failed."

After repeadetely searching around the internet for solutions, I tried turning off firewalls, restarting iPhone, restarting iTunes, restarting computer, unplugged and plugging back in, changing USB ports, reinstalling iTunes, and other tactics, but none worked. Eventually, I got it to push through a couple times: User uploaded file

First time it gave me error. Tried it again, it said restore complete. But nothing was synced to my iPhone at all.

Didn't know if anyone had experienced this before or know of any other tricks I can try.

Thanks!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2, backup on iOS 7.1.1, restore 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 8:59 PM

4 replies

Sep 5, 2017 6:48 AM in response to chase3203

I had a similar issue, with my iPhone 5, I believe this is due to a sync issue between the device and the computer. I was able to back up successfully on another Mac, so it was not a phone issue.

On the phone I disassociated ( removed trust device) from all computers. Then I attached to the original Mac and was asked if I trusted the computer ( as you would on first time connecting) I selected trust and the back up worked perfectly

I tried every other method on the inter web without success. Thus worked first time, no need to remove back ups etc

Sep 16, 2014 8:24 AM in response to chase3203

Hey chase3203,

Thanks for the question, and great troubleshooting so far. The following resource outlines troubleshooting steps for the symptoms you have described. Based on the information you have provided it sounds like you may have already looked over this article. However, I wanted to provide it to you just in case any steps have not yet been attempted, including resetting the Lockdown folder, attempting in a new admin account, and checking your drivers:

iOS: If you can't back up or restore from a backup in iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2529

If your issue persists, the article includes a link to contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Nov 23, 2015 4:36 PM in response to matt00

Hate to necro but I tried everything mentioned in this thread and in others but what eventually worked for me is backing up my phone on a different computer then coming back and trying to restore it again on the original computer and it went flawlessly. I have no idea why this worked, it's a brand new phone and had nothing but my iCloud contacts on it but this is what got me past this message after 3 hours of tinkering.

Hope this helps someone.

iTunes Backup Session Failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.