Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange icon during boot. See photo.

I see a strange icon when I boot my MacBook Pro. It looks like a rearranged or broken apple. Anyone know what this means? When I boot my MacBook Pro. I get the normal Apple with the spinning wheel. Just before the desktop loads I see the icon below on the right hand side of my screen.

User uploaded file

MBP Late 2011 OSX v10.9.4 8 GB RAM

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 7:51 PM

12 replies

Sep 14, 2014 11:41 AM in response to reaubeau

Try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account to see if you get the same thing. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Strange icon during boot. See photo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.