Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

OSX 10.9.3 - 2011 MacBook Pro (w/optical drive) - attempting Windows 7 install

• Downloaded the correct .iso from Microsoft website
  • Plugged in USB drive (500GB)
  • Opened up Bootcamp
  • Bootcamp gives me the option to make a bootable USB
  • Great, so I choose that option
  • I run bootcamp assistant which downloads the correct support files, creates the Windows partition on the HD, creates the bootable USB
  • Bootcamp assistant finishes, tries to boot
  • Black screen with error message: "No bootable devices". No response from keyboard.

Restarting and holding the option key does not allow me to boot off of the USB. Bootcamp will only allow me to remove the Win partition and start over, but I feel like i'll get the same results

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Bootcamp error

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 12:39 AM

15 replies

Sep 14, 2014 4:12 AM in response to XxHenryxX

You can install a new optical drive -> http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/.

Also videos on HOW to replace the drive -> http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/.

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Sep 14, 2014 4:34 AM in response to XxHenryxX

Do you still have the Bootcamp Partition on your internal HDD? To check you can run sudo disk /dev/disk0 from an OS X terminal.

If your ODD is broken, can you

1. Create a 8GB partition on your internal HDD.

2. Burn the Windows ISO to this 8GB partition using Disk Utility and Restore with the .ISO file as the source and the destination being the the 8GB partition. . Please be careful not to wipe your OS X partition (A Time Machine backup) is highly recommended.

3. The partition created in #1 puts you over the limit of the 4-partition Hybrid MBR that Bootcamp creates.

4. Depending on what you find from the output of the sudo command, the Hybrid MBR can be manipulated such that the burnt DVD is a partition within the allowed four.

5. At this point with the DVD in say Partition #3, Bootcamp as Partition #4, you can attempt a Windows install.

You need to be comfortable with OS X Terminal and diskutil commands.

On older MACs whose OD is broken, I have the OS X Install disks (the Grey ones) on internal HDD and the ALT key is used as the method to restore the Macs, like a poor man's RecoveryHD.

Sep 16, 2014 3:05 AM in response to XxHenryxX

1. In OSX, format the USB as MSDOS/FAT.

2. Connect the external Optical drive.

3. Insert DVD.

4. In Disk Utility, Restore using the DVD volume (not the external Superdrive) as the source, and the USB as destination.

5. Test with Alt key during power cycle. It should show you DVD when plugged in.

6. The Bootcamp .zip appropriate for your HW can be downloaded from Apple website, and copied to the USB after unzipping in a folder. If you choose not to do this at all, you can download the .zip file after Windows is installed, directly on the Windows side and install the drivers.

Sep 16, 2014 4:03 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

LowLuster wrote:

It is a restriction Apple has put in the firmware of Mac computers that came with a built in DVD drive. It stops the Windows installer from starting from any other source.

I have installed W8.1 on a 13" 2012 MBP with a built-in Optical drive using a W8.1 ISO and USB, without needing a physical DVD.

Many can't, so it is good that you are here to guide them through the (unsupported) procedure.

Sep 16, 2014 4:15 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Many can't, so it is good that you are here to guide them through the (unsupported) procedure.

Unsupported, by whom? Please read...

Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions

Can I use a downloaded (ISO) version of Windows with Boot Camp?

MacBook Air (Mid 2011 and later), MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later, including Retina models), Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later), and iMac (Late 2012) can install downloaded (ISO) versions of Windows 7 and 8.

This is what I have on this MBP...

User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2014 9:46 AM in response to XxHenryxX

XxHenryxX wrote:

Bootcamp gives me the option to make a bootable USB

Does it ask for Windows DVD?

Black screen with error message: "No bootable devices". No response from keyboard.

Can you take a look at Boot Camp: Windows installation boots to black screen with blinking cursor. Disconnect all peripherals except the Windows/Bootcamp USB, especially any external disks. Can you use a USB2 flash stick of 8-16GB rather than a 500GB USB drive?

Restarting and holding the option key does not allow me to boot off of the USB. Bootcamp will only allow me to remove the Win partition and start over, but I feel like i'll get the same results

Is your USB a USB2.0 or USB3.0 drive? It needs to be a USB2.0 drive.

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.