Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing wireless printing when changing routers???

OK, not sure if I need to do this so asking to be sure. Right now I am connected wirelessly thru my Verizon router, and then Apple Airport Extreme, but think that is slowing down my internet connection but not sure if it really matters. I can switch to just the wireless router thru Verizon without going thru Airport (seems redundant to be using 2 routers) and connect on my laptop. But when I change to just the Verizon router I can no longer print wirelessly to my Canon Pixma 560 printer. Can anyone give me instructions on exactly how to change the printing options? I read that you select the Print & Fax option in systems but no Print & Fax in Maverick but is Printing and Sharing, but don't see anything there to select. Also, can someone advise me steps to connect wirelessly through a 2nd computer on Mavericks (iMac desktop)? I am not tech davy so need step-by-step instructions and easy terminology or I will be lost, but love my Apple products. Opinions on switching to the only-Verizon router option??? If I DO NOT switch and keep it with airport, instructions on setting up the iMac to wirelessly print also, or if changing to Verizon router same options with that router??? I love the help people are willing to share on these posts and appreciate any help I can get.

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 7:34 AM

70 replies

Sep 18, 2014 9:10 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

If you are using the Verizon ActionTec MI424WR, I can walk you through settings and changes.

The Pixma 560 is a 802.11b/g printer. What SSID (Verizon) or SSIDs (Airport) are you connected? Hold the Alt key and click on the WiFi icon on the Mac to see what your connected to?

Can you find out the IP address of the Printer and your Mac which cannot print? If you need instructions, please ask.

Is the Airport connected with a wired connection to the Verizon router?

Sep 18, 2014 10:16 AM in response to Loner T

My router is Ultraline Series 3 Model 9100EM on the front. Sorry, not a techy and not sure what SSID is but holding alt key gives me the network I am connected thru on Airport: PHY Mode: 802.11g; BSSID: 00:03:93:e9:70:ed; Channel 1 (2.4 GHz); Security WPA2 Personal; RSSI -50; Transmit Rate: 54. If I unplug the Airport I connect to HW8A7 thru Verizon router: PHY Mode: 802.11g; BSSID: 00:21:63:37:4e:cd; Channel 11 (2.4 GHz); Security WPA2 Personal; RSSI -51; Transmit Rate: 54. Not sure where to locate the IP addresses...I am currently connected with a wired connection from the Verizon router to the airport. I can disconnect the Apple router and get on the internet fine, but I cannot print to my printer then as the printer is set up I guess to print from Airport. Thanks for any help!

Sep 18, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

The User Guide for the 9100EM is http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/Vz9100EM_user_guide.pdf. On page 20, if you click on My Network, you can see all devices that are connected and their corresponding IP addresses.

You do not need to disconnect the Airport. What model is the Airport?

You can connect the printer to HW8A7 SSID and the IP will also be in the My Network tab.

Connect your iMac to the Airport WiFi SSID. Now open a OSX Terminal via Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Also, in System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi, note the IP address of your iMac. Click on the Advanced button at bottom right, and look at the Hardware tab, and note down the xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (MAC address) of the Mac. Does this MAC address show up in the My Network Tab on the 9100 EM? If yes, then ensure that the IP address in My Network tab and on the System Preferences tab match each other. If they do not, that is one problem to solve.

Try to ping <IPAddressOfPrinter> from the Terminal window where the IP is what you found from the My Network tab.

Sep 18, 2014 11:00 AM in response to Loner T

I have to head out now, so won't be able to do this all right now, but will work on this, but I am pretty lost I must admit. I am assuming you are saying to leave airport connected and I can then print from my laptop (except for some reason I have problems printing PDF's from Safari but can from Firefox - see another post) and connect the iMac to be able to print wirelessly also. So I am not losing any performance by going thru 2 routers? Not sure of Airport model - not on device...Airport Extreme and is the cone shaped one that first came out, had it for a while but working fine. Are you referring to "Network" in System Preferences when you say My Network tab? If so does this sound right? Says on iMac HW8A7 IP Address is 192.168.1.7 . Under Hardware tab on iMac says 00:21:e9:e2:ab:77 . Have no idea how to get to My Network tab on 9100 EM??? And sorry, even the word Terminal scares me, always been told not to mess with that, but have no idea how to "ping" anything in there or what that last sentence is asking me to do. Hope this info helps, trying but as I said not much on the technical end so need specifics.Thanks again for helping me!

Sep 18, 2014 11:23 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

Gary Schnetter wrote:

you are saying to leave airport connected and I can then print from my laptop

The Airport is connected via Ethernet to the Verizon router (and should be in "bridged" mode) and should be able to see the entire local network including the printer.

except for some reason I have problems printing PDF's from Safari but can from Firefox - see another post

That is not related to your printer connectivity issue.

So I am not losing any performance by going thru 2 routers? Not sure of Airport model - not on device...Airport Extreme and is the cone shaped one that first came out, had it for a while but working fine.

I also have this cone-shaped one. It is a 802.11 b/g. My unit also works. It is very good piece of equipment. The tech specs are - AirPort Extreme Base Station (no modem) - Technical Specifications. The performance should be the same since the Airport and VZ router are connected by a ethernet wire.

Are you referring to "Network" in System Preferences when you say My Network tab? If so does this sound right? Says on iMac HW8A7 IP Address is 192.168.1.7 . Under Hardware tab on iMac says 00:21:e9:e2:ab:77 .

Yes, and you found the IP address allocated by HW8A7 SSID to your iMac which is 192.168.1.7. You are connected to the VZ router, not the Airport.

My Network is on the Verizon router. Use the link for 9100EM I posted. It has the User Interface for the 9100EM.

Have no idea how to get to My Network tab on 9100 EM???

See the 9100 EM link.

And sorry, even the word Terminal scares me, always been told not to mess with that, but have no idea how to "ping" anything in there or what that last sentence is asking me to do.

After you start the terminal window you can type ping <PrinterIP> (replace <PrinterIP> with the IP similar to 192.168.1.7) and press enter. This a non-destructive command to check if the iMac can see the printer or not.

Sep 19, 2014 6:15 AM in response to Loner T

Again, pretty busy today and tomorrow so not much time to work on this, but don't want you to give up if I don't respond for a day or two. One question I see with above, if we are going to leave the airport connected, why wouldn't I be printing thru the airport so I can connect thru that network and not HW8A7? I want to be able to just be on the internet and print from the iMac just like I do now from laptop,I don't have to change any settings or networks or anything. I originally asked about changing both computers to the Verizon router and getting rid of airport, but if I keep airport I just want everything to go thru that. Do the above instructions still apply because it seems I am connecting to the VZ router to get the above info and do these tasks, when shouldn't it be airport???

Sep 19, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

Take your time.

Since your Airport is connected via an Ethernet Cable, it should be a flat network with all devices behind the WiFi SSIDs and LAN connections being to able to see each other including the printer so you can print using either type of connection.

I have a similar network with multiply Time Capsules and a VZ router. I can see my printer from either type of connection.

More than likely the Airport may be misconfigured. It may help if you can post a screen shot of the Airport configuration, primarily your Internet and Wireless tabs. What version of Mac OSX do you have on your iMac?

Looking at the 9100EM and the Airport configurations will provide clues on why it is not working.

Sep 19, 2014 6:26 PM in response to Loner T

OK, I think I am confused on what we are doing for sure. I have 2 issues. #1 is that I am signed in on my laptop and I "can" print when signed in under my airport connection, but when I change to HW8A7 (Vz router) to be connected then I cannot print. #2 is that I don't have any problems with the iMac, I haven't even set that up for printing wirelessly yet and I need help setting up the iMac to print to the same Pixma printer.

Regarding my laptop not printing from HW8A7, I went to my Utilities folder and found the Airport Utility, but when I open it up it shows a globe with Internet below it and my Airport base station, but says: "This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information." I have changed nothing except I have upgraded to Maverick's. So where do I go to find the Airport Utility to get the information for the airport configuration if that is what is needed to make my laptop print to HW8A7 also?

Regarding #2 - printing wirelessly to my Pixma from my iMac - How do I set that up to print wirelessly from both connections? Or if I am ok just using the Airport, how do I set that up?

I was just going to get rid of Airport since it is not necessary any longer. I bought it back when I only had DSL and wanted to connect wirelessly to both computers, but now with FiOS I really don't need airport, but if easier to leave it and just get my iMac to print wirelessly I guess I just need instructions on how to set that up to print wirelessly to my Pixma. FYI - I have an HP printer connected with ethernet now to that, but that printer doesn't work any longer. And although I don't print a lot from the iMac, I would like it set up so I can do it wirelessly when I do. I really don't have to be able to print using HW8A7 from either computer if I am keeping airport connected, just thought it may improve my speeds not having 2 routers.

Sep 19, 2014 8:09 PM in response to Gary Schnetter

Gary Schnetter wrote:

OK, I think I am confused on what we are doing for sure. I have 2 issues. #1 is that I am signed in on my laptop and I "can" print when signed in under my airport connection, but when I change to HW8A7 (Vz router) to be connected then I cannot print.

If I can draw a diagram, it may make things easier.

Internet <- Ethernet/MoCA -> VZ 9100 EM <- Ethernet-> Airport

From a Wireless perspective...

Internet <-HW8A7-> WiFi Client

or

Internet <-Ethernet/MoCA-> VZ Router <-Ethernet-> Airport <-Airport SSID-> WiFi Client

If the VZ Router and the Airport allocate IP addresses and the ranges conflict, then routing can cause problems and the ability to see devices may not work.

If the Printer is connected to the Airport SSID, then any devices connected to HW8A7 cannot see the printer because it is "hidden" by the Airport internal network, very similar to how VZ hides your network behind the VZ router from the rest of the world (this is called a NATted network - NAT=Network Address Translation) . This is an island-within-an-island scenario. We are trying to figure out if that is the case or not. This is also called a "double NAT". The goal should be have a flat network behind the VZ router withe the VZ router allocating IPs to all devices within your network.

#2 is that I don't have any problems with the iMac, I haven't even set that up for printing wirelessly yet and I need help setting up the iMac to print to the same Pixma printer.

If it was a "flat" network, and the iMac could "see" the printer, you could see neighboring printers magically via auto discovery. If you go into System Preferences -> Printers and Scanners. There is nothing special needed. If the iMAC cannot find a driver for the printer (which is unlikely, because Apple used to resell Pixma printers). The worst-case scenario is the download the Mac driver from Canon website and install it on the iMac, but the visibility issues should be fixed first.

Regarding my laptop not printing from HW8A7, I went to my Utilities folder and found the Airport Utility, but when I open it up it shows a globe with Internet below it and my Airport base station, but says: "This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information." I have changed nothing except I have upgraded to Maverick's. So where do I go to find the Airport Utility to get the information for the airport configuration if that is what is needed to make my laptop print to HW8A7 also?

Upgrading to Mavericks updated your AU (Airport Utility) from 5.6.x which supports the dome 802.11b/g Airport to 6.3.x which does not. Here is a table AirPort Utility software and firmware downloads which provides a cross reference. If you have another Mac running an older version of OS X, you can run 5.6.x version which will allow you to view and make changes, if necessary, but at this point you cannot do that. The other option is to have a Windows machine and download AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows and use that to configure the Airport. The last option is to disconnect the Airport and power it off.

I was just going to get rid of Airport since it is not necessary any longer. I bought it back when I only had DSL and wanted to connect wirelessly to both computers, but now with FiOS I really don't need airport, but if easier to leave it and just get my iMac to print wirelessly I guess I just need instructions on how to set that up to print wirelessly to my Pixma. FYI - I have an HP printer connected with ethernet now to that, but that printer doesn't work any longer. And although I don't print a lot from the iMac, I would like it set up so I can do it wirelessly when I do. I really don't have to be able to print using HW8A7 from either computer if I am keeping airport connected, just thought it may improve my speeds not having 2 routers.

Your Pixma printer is an 802.11b/g printer. If VZ upgrades your router which no longer supports 802.11b/g standard, you will be unable to use it. If you do not need the Airport now and cannot configure it due to limitations of Mavericks (or the lack of Windows machine), disconnect it and power it off. The downside is that the Pixma connected to the VZ router via wifi does not allow you to use higher speeds (802.11n) from the VZ router. One use would be to have the Airport be there just to have the printer visible to the rest of the network and you can name the SSID to say PrinterSSID. If you have older iDevices which do not support 802.11n, the Airport may be very helpful and can prevent some performance degradation by isolating the printer (and older iDevices) solely to the Airport.

It may be better in the long-run to have a single flat network and the printer be visible to all using this technique.

The loss in performance is almost negligible, because all 54Mbps Wireless traffic to the airport is going into a 100Mbps ethernet cable to the VZ router. Connecting the printer to the VZ router can slow all devices connected to the VZ down.

At this point, the 9100EM wifi configuration and the airport configuration will help address the current issues first.

Sep 20, 2014 6:17 PM in response to Loner T

Not sure what I'm to do now. I am totally lost. What do you need me to do in the order and exact instructions and I will get you that information. Can't go into Airport utility if I don't have that and don't have windows, only my 2 macs. When I go to terminal on iMac and just click on terminal and in the window that comes up I type in ping <192.168.1.7> right where the cursor is which is exactly what you said and this is what it says:

User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2014 7:05 PM in response to Gary Schnetter

1. If you have login to your 9100EM VZ router, in Safari browser type http://192.168.1.1. (See Page 16 of the 9100EM link I provided). The credentials for the login should have been provided by VZ when the 9100EM was installed.

2. Click on My Network. If you look at page 20, it gives you the name of the device, its IP address, and status. You are interested in all devices that have a status of 'online'.

3. For each device, note down Name, IP Address, Mac Address.

4. From your Mac, try ping, for example, ping -c 3 192.168.1.1 which is your router. Try this for each IP which is online. If anything fails, put an X for that entry.

5. Post the items from step 3 and the X or blank for each device from step 4.

The following will help build a topology of your network.

Here is an example of pinging the device by a Name.

ping -c 3 www.google.com

PING www.google.com (74.125.193.106): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=0 ttl=44 time=46.815 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=46.939 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=47.463 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 46.815/47.072/47.463/0.281 ms

Here is an example of pinging a device by IP.

ping -c 3 74.125.193.106

PING 74.125.193.106 (74.125.193.106): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=0 ttl=44 time=46.800 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=47.450 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.193.106: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=46.819 ms

--- 74.125.193.106 ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 46.800/47.023/47.450/0.302 ms

Changing wireless printing when changing routers???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.