Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Attention required | cloudfare.... one more step," what is it???

In the past few days, when I try to open some pages from google search, it leads me to the correct url but it first shows a page that says ATTENTION REQUIRED | CLOUDFARE

One more Step

Please complete the security check to access www.athriftymrs.com ... which was the website i was trying to visit.

and then it asks me to fill the captcha and something with a yield icon that says what can i do to prevent this in the future and it gives me a tip that I should use a malware scanner.

This is the link i tried to visit http://www.athriftymrs.com/2013/11/how-to-make-your-towels-fluffy-again.html

I never proceeded to enter the captcha but I really want to know what is going on. Because on windows, it supposedly means that you have malware and you should delete or change some host files.... but Im not really sure with the mac os X 10.7.5 tho.

HELP! btw, this happened on a couple of other websites too...

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 10:57 AM

10 replies

Oct 6, 2014 5:12 PM in response to mh2khin

Well, I clicked on the link you'd shared and didn't see anything that you are encountering.

But, I would suggest you to install at least two of the security extensions you may see on Apple's Safari Extensions Page. You may go to Extensions by Clicking Safari>Safari Extensions... (on the left corner of the Menubar). Once on extensions page, click on categories and select security.

Here's the direct Link:

https://extensions.apple.com/?category=security

I would recommend the following ones:

Adblock Plus

WOT

Ghostery

JavaScript Blocker

Do Not Track Me

AdBlock

Bonafeyed

Currently, I've Ghostery, JavaScript Blocker and WOT installed on my Safari browser. I've used others in the past and they are good, too. All of the above extensions have some overlapping functions. None are perfect, but helps a great deal.

Install minimum 2 or 3 of the above at a time and later try different combinations. Check, if any of those helps you avoiding the Cloudfare thingy.

✌️

Oct 28, 2014 6:54 AM in response to dipakcg

I have a sort of solution - I contacted my ISP, and asked them to look into the matter as my public IP was added to a lot of blacklists (Due to the fact that i'm sharing the public IP with a lot of people ... approx. 200 according to my ISP) and I asked them to react as it was starting to be VERY annoying to me. (i threatened them that I would switch ISP if they didn't solve the problem)

They worked on it for some days and the problem disappeared.

The answer from TimbukTrue did also bring my attention to his suggested extensions, and I owe him a thank, as after installing them the browsing experience has been a breece 🙂

Oct 28, 2014 7:31 AM in response to TimbukTrue

Well! I am not a tech guy. I am just a tech enthusiast and an end user of Apple products. I am a doctor but I do like to play with software, hardware and networking stuff that I get exposed, too.

When I replied to for the first time, as above, I'd suggested you guys to use an extension to detect whether the site is a problematic one or not. After that (or maybe even before that reply), I personally have encountered the same site so many times. I think until now, I didn't realize what you guys were actually wanted to ask in regards of cloudflare.com. Before today, this thing didn't flash in my mind because of the following 2 reasons.

1. Even though, I've encountered cloudflare.com for at least 20/30 times in the past 2 months, I never saw it as a problem (as you guys did). The reason behind me encountering that site (asking me to verify if I was human though captcha) was too obvious to me after 1st or 2nd encounter. I am going to explain it below.

2. The cloudflare.com link that somebody posted above leads to the homepage of the cloudflare.com and it is not the same page that you guys had encountered while going to some other sites like athriftymrs.com link posted by @mh2khin above.

These 2 mistakes above, always stopped me from understanding you guys' real concern.

SOLUTION to your problem (I've discovered this though my own encounters and don't know if this is posted elsewhere).

This website is not a threat to your security. It is not a malicious software or a survey loop or a website that wants to sell you something.

Actually, the website sees you guys as threat to their security and service and that's the reason behind cloudflare.com asking you to enter captcha solution to confirm you are a human and not a bot.

Just google cloudflare.com and you will know what it is and what services it provides with.

I really don't the tech terms but, what I understood by myself at the first/second encounter with the website is that coludflare.com is a website hosting site. It is a cloud based server or something similar. So, when you want to visit a website that is hosted on cloudflare.com servers it is cloudflar.com's responsibility to protect the data of the website you are going to visit. Also, by asking the captcha thingy, cloudflare.com security is trying to reduce the automated traffic attack though bots.

BIG QUESTION: Ok, now I understood that the website is just trying to protect itself, but WHY ME (or in you guys' cases ME = you😉)???

Well, I have a sure-hot answer for "WHY ME" (ME= TimbukTrue)? And most likely it is also the case when ME=mh2khin/dipakch, etc.

It is because I was experimenting VPNs or Proxy server bypasses or a TOR Browser, when I encountered the problem.

As I've tried to explain above, the cloudflare.com is a web hosting service. It is trying to protect itself and it's clients.

Even though, VPN / Proxy server / TOR are highly secure servers for me. Their exit IPs are limited in numbers against the number of subscribers they carry. It is most certain that the IP address that cloudflare.com getting signals from (via VPN/Proxy/TOR) is used by thousands of people around the world. Thus, cloudflare.com's safety mechanism sees it as a threat and wants you to prove yourself as an alive human before letting you in and increasing incoming and outgoing traffic.

Sorry for this big essay, but, as I've mentioned earlier, I am not a tech guy. So, I couldn't keep it short and sweet.

Anyways.

I can say for sure that cloudflare.com is safe and good website. In my above post, I have mentioned a safari extension named 'WOT' (Web Of Trust). I have attached a picture of WOT rating of cloudflare.com to support my belief that cloudflare.com is safe to visit.

Check the reputation at https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cloudflare.com

If you still don't want to see cloudflare.com on your way to your desired website, try to go thru a unique end user IP (i.g. home broadband connection) and not through a professional bypass service (VPN, Proxy, TOR etc.).

I hope this helps you guys.

✌️

User uploaded file

Oct 28, 2014 8:19 AM in response to TimbukTrue

Well! I am not a tech guy. I am just a tech enthusiast and an end user of Apple products. I am a doctor but I do like to play with software, hardware and networking stuff that I get exposed to.

When I replied to for the first time, as above, I'd suggested you guys to use safari extensions to detect whether any website is a problematic one or not. After that (or maybe even before that reply), I personally have encountered cloudflare.com for many times. I think until now, I didn't realize what you guys were actually wanted to ask, in regards to cloudflare.com.

Before today, this thing didn't flash in my mind because of the following 2 reasons.

1. Even though, I've encountered cloudflare.com for at least 20/30 times in the past 2 months, I've never seen it as a problem (as you guys did). The reason behind me encountering that site (asking me to verify if I was human through a captcha) was too obvious to me after my 1st or 2nd encounter with cloudflare. Why? ... I am going to explain that below.

2. The cloudflare.com link that somebody have posted above, leads to the homepage of the cloudflare.com. And it is not the same page that we encounter while going to some other websites, e.g. athriftymrs.com link posted by @mh2khin above.

These 2 mistakes above, kept me away from understanding you guys' real concern.

SOLUTION to your problem (I've discovered this though my own encounters and don't know if this is posted elsewhere).

This website is not a threat to your security. It is not a malicious software or a survey loop or a website that wants to sell you something.

Actually, the website sees you guys as threat to the security and services of its own and its clients. And that's the reason behind cloudflare.com asking you to enter captcha solution to confirm that you are a human and not a bot.

Just google cloudflare.com and you will know what it is and what services it provides.

I really don't know the proper tech terms but, what I've understood by myself from the first/second encounter with the website is that coludflare.com is a web hosting service. It is a cloud based server or something of that sort. So, when you want to visit a website that is hosted on cloudflare.com servers, it is cloudflar.com's responsibility to protect the data and service of cloudflare and its clients. Also, by asking the captcha thingy, cloudflare.com security is trying to avoid automated traffic attack though bots.

Ok, now I understood that the website is just trying to protect itself.

But, BIG QUESTION: WHY ME ? (in you guys' cases ME = you😉)???

Well, I have a sure-hot answer for "WHY ME" (ME= TimbukTrue)? And most likely, it is also the case when ME= mh2khin or dipakcg, etc.

It is because I was experimenting with VPNs or Proxy server bypasses or a TOR Browser, when I encountered the problem.

As I've tried to explain above, the cloudflare.com is a web hosting service. It is trying to protect itself and its clients.

Even though, VPN / Proxy server / TOR are highly secure services that protect my identity, their exit IPs are limited in numbers. While the number of subscribers they carry could be any number. It is most certain that the IP address that cloudflare.com getting signals from (via VPN/Proxy/TOR) is used by thousands of people around the world everyday. Thus, cloudflare.com's safety mechanism sees it as a threat and wants you to prove yourself as an alive human before letting you in and increasing incoming and outgoing traffic as well as accessing data stored on their servers.

Sorry for this big essay, but, as I've mentioned earlier, I am not a tech guy. So, I couldn't keep it short and sweet.

Anyways.

I can say for sure that cloudflare.com is safe and good website. In my above post, I have mentioned a safari extension named 'WOT' (Web Of Trust). I have attached a picture of WOT rating of cloudflare.com to support my belief that cloudflare.com is safe to visit.

Check the reputation of cloudflare.com at https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cloudflare.com

If you still don't want to see cloudflare.com on your way to your desired website, try to go thru a unique end user IP (e.g. home broadband connection) and not through a professional bypass service (e.g. VPN, Proxy, TOR etc.).

I hope this helps you guys.

✌️

User uploaded file

Oct 28, 2014 8:20 AM in response to TimbukTrue

I am deeply sorry, if you are seeing my above reply twice. I believe there was a technical glitch on the Apple Support Communities side. That led to show my original and edited replies separately rather than showing just the edited reply. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I request the administrator to discard the first of the two similar replies above.

Thanks in advance.

✌️

"Attention required | cloudfare.... one more step," what is it???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.