Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand v.10 vs. v.6: what about all the support files?

Never used GarageBand myself, so I don't know much about it. Redoing setup of a friend's older model iMac, I install some of the iLife 2011 apps, but see that the App Store offers the latest GarageBand v.10 as a free install, so I go ahead with the latter. However, I note that the new GarageBand doesn't seem to install any of the very large array of support files that the old GarageBand did (e.g. in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand). I wonder, does the new GarageBand use any of that stuff? If so, shouldn't it appear when GB 10 is installed?

I delete the new GarageBand and install GB 6.0 from the iLife install disc; it puts the usual 1.4GB of support files in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand (and others elsewhere, I believe). I then download/install the new GB v.10 again, noting that while the GB 6.0 application file (which has now been placed in a folder labeled "GarageBand 6.0) is some ~267 MB, the new GB 10 application is 1.2GB. So does the new GB include all its support files within the application? If/when I delete GB 6.0, shall I delete all the supporting files (which I recall from previous searches are spread out in various locations)? Anybody know about this?

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 2:18 PM

GarageBand 11 has many features, that the new, "free" version does not have. Let it be installed. Also, GarageBand 10.0 has a very different user interface and your friend may not like it. And it comes only with a basic set of instruments and loops. Additional content has to be purchased as an in-app purchase. With the older GarageBand '11 installed, the in-app purchase will be free, see this document: Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase

The new GarageBand 10 will use all instruments and loops that the old version installed. They will show in a "Legacy" section of the instrument library.

Both versions can coexist peacefully. Let GarageBand 6.0 installed, but update it using the updater from the downloads page to GarageBand 6.0.5

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1507

In GB 10.0 try the command "GarageBand > Restore Purchase" from the main menu bar to install the additional 10 GB of content.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2014 2:18 PM in response to HandyMac

GarageBand 11 has many features, that the new, "free" version does not have. Let it be installed. Also, GarageBand 10.0 has a very different user interface and your friend may not like it. And it comes only with a basic set of instruments and loops. Additional content has to be purchased as an in-app purchase. With the older GarageBand '11 installed, the in-app purchase will be free, see this document: Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase

The new GarageBand 10 will use all instruments and loops that the old version installed. They will show in a "Legacy" section of the instrument library.

Both versions can coexist peacefully. Let GarageBand 6.0 installed, but update it using the updater from the downloads page to GarageBand 6.0.5

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1507

In GB 10.0 try the command "GarageBand > Restore Purchase" from the main menu bar to install the additional 10 GB of content.

Sep 14, 2014 6:25 PM in response to léonie

Thanks, léonie, for the information; very helpful. I downloaded the updater for GB 6.0.5, but the Installer told me “The version of GarageBand installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available.” Software Update / Mac App Store doesn’t show any update for any version of GarageBand.

Assuming that the presence of GB 10 prevents the Installer from seeing GB 6, I delete GB 10, pull GB 6 out of the folder where it was placed by the GB 10 installation, then Restart the iMac, and run the GB 6.0.5 Update again. Now it tells me “GarageBand 6.0 or later is required to install this update.” Uh, GarageBand 6.0 is right there in the Applications folder; it even says “GarageBand 6.0” below it.

Okay. I move GarageBand 6.0 to the Trash, and reinstall it from the iLife 11 disc, then Restart the iMac and try the GB 6.0.5 Update again. This time it works. Whew. I then download/install GB 10 again. I’ll leave it up to the iMac owner to decide where he wants to go with these.

Thanks again.

Sep 15, 2014 12:32 AM in response to HandyMac

Okay. I move GarageBand 6.0 to the Trash, and reinstall it from the iLife 11 disc, then Restart the iMac and try the GB 6.0.5 Update again. This time it works. Whew. I then download/install GB 10 again. I’ll leave it up to the iMac owner to decide where he wants to go with these.

Perfect.

Sometimes the updaters will not update the older version if a newer version is also present. Or the Spotlight index may need updating.

I'm glad you got it working!

GarageBand v.10 vs. v.6: what about all the support files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.