Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sharing with windows

Hello

I am getting into a bit of trouble with this and I can not resolve it so hopefully I will get some help here

I have a Mac book Pro which appears on my win7 network as macbookpro-9b76

I can see the mac on my win7 network but I can not access any files at all - I can open any mac folder within my win7 network all the partitions are available to me and I can see any file or folder but the minute I try to either delete or move files I can not do it- I get a message saying I do not have permission to do it etc etc

I can from my mac access my win7 machines and drives folders etc and delete or drag and drop files without any problem so some how I have to allow access on the macbook.

I went into user groups and added all the win7 machines allowing them sharing rights thinking that this would solve it however it has noting fact when I rebooted the mac those win7 machines are not in the list ( for some reason they have disappeared ) but the mac some how has retained the names as I tried to add them again and could not - I have looked inside security and privacy but nothing there rings any bell - also sharing does not show anything other that all the boxes are ticked apart from internet accounts.

I basically need some help to allow me to access the files on my mac from my win7 machines

Thanks

MacBook Pro, machine has latest OX installed

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 1:09 PM

8 replies

Sep 15, 2014 2:14 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy

I have gone through very carefully all the links you kindly provided - much of which I had already done - some of which I had not done

yet I still find myself in the same position in that I can not affect anything on the mac via windows, it is truly bizarre

I can print to any of the printers via my network from the mac ( I thought that would be the most difficult thing ) but I have no access to the mac in that I can not even open some folders that are as far as the mac is concerned shared ?

I have posted some jpg for you and others to look at just to see if there is anything that sits up that I can not see - on one of my windows machine I deleted all the mac shared files and then re found them again but still no go as far as affecting the mac folders - I always re-boot the mac and the windows machines just to make sure the discover the latest changes.

Share files and folders using AFP was checked but made no difference so I unchecked it.

Thanks for looking

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 16, 2014 1:34 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your help in any case.

I would like to delete the shared windows machines of my MacBook so that I can start again but I can not see anyway to do it

might be a good idea to flush everything out just in case I may have made an error along the way, so if anybody has a method of deleting the machines from the mac so that I can start again it would be most welcome.

Before anybody says anything - about user groups NO windows machines appear there only mac profiles appear, so I need to work out how to do it

Thanks

Sep 16, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Kappy

Hi

I think I am in a better position now

I can move files using a Win 7 machine across the network to any folder in my mackbook

I can delete files using a Win 7 machine controlling files within a mac folder

What I can not do from my Win 7 machine is rename a MAC folder .. although I can rename a doc inside the mac folder

I can not delete a mac folder being controlled from a Win 7 machine

I can not access the drop box folder at all no matter what machine

My question is the following.

Is what I have achieved above the maximum I can do across my network ? as within my win 7 environment I can rename and delete folders

Thanks

Sep 17, 2014 12:24 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy

Again thanks for your input and your time ( it is most welcome ) - the problem is certainly at the permission end of the macbook,, as far as me selecting

"File Sharing" etc this has not opened up the permissions 100% as I would have expected.

If anybody else has a view please feel free to express it

Ps One other detail I did not add at the start of this was that I am using OS X Mavericks 10.9.4

Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 12:26 PM in response to mavis123

I decided to have one more try - turned off all sharing options and re selecting all the machines - I also deleted old passwords and rebooted after all the changes - re-applied every thing one by one and it all worked

So it was something that I did when I first set this up which prevented my actions from working

All resolved now

sharing with windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.