Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 17” MBP appears to be “registered” as a 15” MBP

I wanted to add more RAM to my MPB 17. I wasn’t sure of the year, so I clicked: About this Mac > More Info and go this page:

User uploaded file

So far, so good. It’s listed as model no: MacBook Pro 6,2

But this page has no 17” with this model no. Only a 15” with this model.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro6,2

So I went the Apple page “Check your support and coverage” here, entered the serial no:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

And I got a notice that this here MBP 17” “is" a MPB 15”

User uploaded file

How strange is this? I just wanted to find out what year and make the MBP 17” was so I could see if I could add more memory from Crucial. (and eventually upgrade from OS10.6.8 to that machine to whatever the most recent (and efficient) OS available with this older machine. Crucial has an app that you can download so I’ll check that next, but I couldn’t yet do so because the machine is at work and I at home.

Anyone know what’s going on here?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 10:38 PM

6 replies

Sep 14, 2014 10:45 PM in response to Jaco_Crash

It's a model 6,1 model if it's 17". You sure you don't have the 15" model?

Maximum Memory

8.0 GB
Memory Slots2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Upgrading to Mavericks

You can upgrade to Mavericks from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Mavericks can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Mavericks

To upgrade to Mavericks you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Mavericks from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Mavericks is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mavericks

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Sep 14, 2014 11:01 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the info on Mavericks.

Yes, I’m absolutely sure I have the 17” model. I’m even willing to take a video of it (the exterior) the boot, and showing the “about this mac” page. It’s the strangest thing. I assure you that I’m not mistaking the 17” for a 15"

In fact, I see the same thing here: under Apple’s EFI and SMC firmware update link:

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

User uploaded file

The MacBookPro6,2 is listed as 15” while as you say, MacBookPro6,1 is listed as 17” - so strange! I’m thinking of taking the 17” to the Apple store and showing them and seeing what they say.

Sep 14, 2014 11:15 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy. Why waste my time? I guess because it’s my time. And because it makes me curious why the (possible) misnomer on the 17”. Not directed at you, but on the general topic of “why waste time” or “you must have too much time on your hands”. People have different interests or they get intrigued by something and sometimes one would like to follow it through. Anyhoot, if anyone else has an idea of why the MBP 17” appears to have the model no. of the MBP 15”, I’d like to hear it. Cheers.

My 17” MBP appears to be “registered” as a 15” MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.