Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will my rented iTunes movie not play on Apple TV!?

I paid for the rental and my iPad keeps telling me that my device does not support protected movies or something. how do I fix this?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 9:44 PM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Trindyl

Hi Trindyl,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear on the exact nature of the issue you are describing. Playback of rented movies is somewhat different than for purchased content. For the most part, rented movies can only be played back on the original device that it was rented from unless it was rented from a computer, and for computers transfers have other limitations. You may find the information in the following articles helpful, particularly this portion:

Where can I watch movies that I rented?

• Mac or PC
  • iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (with iOS 3.1.3 or later)
  • iPod classic, iPod nano (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation)
  • TV using Apple TV

Watch your movie on the device you used to rent it. If you rented the movie on your computer, you can move it to an iOS device or Apple TV (1st generation). To do this, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your computer, it will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as much as you want, but you can only have it on one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

To watch an HD movie, you need to play it on a supported device: your computer, iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or TV using Apple TV.

You can’t stream a rented movie from your computer to your Apple TV using AirPlay because it’s DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected content.

FAQs about renting movies from the iTunes Store

How to rent a movie from the iTunes Store on Apple TV

Regards,

- Brenden

Why will my rented iTunes movie not play on Apple TV!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.