Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone

My Iphone 4s Frequently restarts with no pattern or reason it seems. Trying to fix the problem by restoring it I'm now receiving error 29 while trying to restore it and now am unable to use it at all so i cannot contact apple from my phone. I need help im ready to smash this phone into a thousand peices.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 11:36 PM

8 replies

Sep 14, 2014 11:37 PM in response to brazinfrommetairie

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Sep 14, 2014 11:42 PM in response to brazinfrommetairie

Has the battery been replaced in this iPhone?

You might also try this:

Check your hosts file

After you update iTunes to the latest version, check the hosts file to make sure your computer can contact the update server.

If you’re using a Windows computer, follow the steps in this Microsoft support article (note that resetting thehosts file will affect software services that rely on hosts file redirects). If you're using Windows on a business computer, consult your IT department to be sure applications will work correctly after you reset the hosts file.

If you're using a Mac, follow these steps:

1. In the Finder, choose Applications > Utilities.
  2. Open Terminal.
  3. Enter this command and press Return:
    sudo nano /private/etc/hosts
  4. Enter the password you use to sign in to your computer and press Return. You won't see text appear in the Terminal window when you enter the password. Make sure you use a nonblank administrator password.
  5. Terminal will display the hosts file.
  6. Navigate using the arrow keys and look for an entry containing “gs.apple.com”.
  7. Add the # symbol and a space ("# ") to the beginning of the gs.apple.com entry.
  8. Press Control-O to save the file.
  9. Press Enter when asked for the filename and Control-X to exit the editor.
  10. Restart your computer.
  11. Try to update or restore your iOS device again.

Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.