Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a new user account that can use all my software?

I set up a new user account on my 3 year old BTO iMac running OS 10.8.5. Unfortunately, when I tried to use it, the computer thought none of my software was registered, activated, licensed, etc. With 26 GB of applications on this machine, it will be a colossal chore to re-do everything. Is there any way around this?

Thanks for your time,

Larry

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), BTO 3.4 GHz I7, 8 GB RAM, SSD

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 11:59 PM

3 replies

Sep 15, 2014 2:41 AM in response to bluzgtr

Need some more info.

Is your regular user an Admin?

Are these apps installed in the main /Applications folder?

Are they App Store apps or installs from disc/download?

What specific apps are you having trouble with? For instance, I know that MS Office and Adobe CS5 for perfectly well for all users on my MBP.

Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Sep 16, 2014 6:24 PM in response to Daniel Ebeck

Is your regular user an Admin?

Yes. So is the new account I tried to set up.

Are these apps installed in the main /Applications folder?

Yes.

Are they App Store apps or installs from disc/download?

Both, but App Store purchases are a clear minority, and aren't much of a problem, due to the ease of re-downloading and activating. The downloaded programs are the ones that present the problems. I have not been good about archiving serial numbers and the like, mostly because I've never had a problem like this before.

What specific apps are you having trouble with? For instance, I know that MS Office and Adobe CS5 for perfectly well for all users on my MBP.

This is a very long list. Let me give you some of it, and if you really need all of them, I'll add to the list later.

1Password 4

ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap

Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 plus On ONE add-on filters

Burn

calibre

DiskTracker

Dragon Dictate

Flv Crunch 1.5.0

GraphicConverter

Harmony Assistant

iBank

iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe

MacX Video Converter Pro

QMidi

Screenium

Unison

WireTap Studio

Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Not much, since I have no idea where the problem is. I looked for some central repository of software serial numbers or activations, but didn't find one.

Sep 17, 2014 2:00 AM in response to bluzgtr

Central information like this is usually held in the /Library folder. And it sounds more like there being an access issue, as you can open the apps, but not the new user.

So the first thing to try is to use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your HD. About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature. Run it twice to be sure.

Secondly, boot into the Recovery Partition and again use Disk Utility to verify and repair the structure of the HD. Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

Whilst you are in the Recovery Partition, use resetpassword to reset the ACL permissions on your home folders.

These steps should clear any permissions issues from your Mac.

Let me know how you get on.

How do I set up a new user account that can use all my software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.