Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to wi-fi Sync iPad from PC with wired Ethernet connection

I am unable to see my iPad using iTunes wi-fi sync with a gigabit wired ethernet connection. I have no problem seeing the same iPad when I use wi-fi from the same PC.

The PC is running windows 8.1 This is very annoying as I would prefer to use the gigabit ethernet connection for the PC as it is much faster for connection to my NAS.

Any suggestions? Since the wi-fi sync works fine with the Wireless Card on the PC, I'm thinking the issue isn't likely the Router as the PC is using a port off the same Router as the wi-fi.

iPad, iOS 7.1.2, Windows 8.1 & iTunes 11.4

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 6:07 AM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2014 9:11 AM in response to can they fix it

Hi can they fix it,

If you are having issues with Wi-Fi Sync on your iPad when your PC is hardwired to your router, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

iTunes 10.5 and later: Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi syncing

You may also want to check and see if the IP address for your PC is in a similar range, subnet mask, etc, when connecting via Wi-Fi vs Ethernet.

Regards,

- Brenden

Oct 25, 2015 1:55 PM in response to can they fix it

After suffering with this for months, I starting doing some searches today and ended up here. This is the top hit under discussions.apple.com on google when searching "itunes wifi sync ethernet".

My Vista machine is on my wired gigabit ethernet and I've always found wifi sync to my former phone (iphone 4s) and current phone (5s) to be flaky at best. This has been the case across multiple versions of iTunes as well. The problem I have is that the device usually does not show up in iTunes. I have found that if I just wait anywhere from 3-10 minutes, it will in fact show up and then a sync is possible, although sometimes that sync is then slow and sometimes it does not complete. When it does not complete successfully, I've never seen any kind of error message. I discover the failure by the mismatch between what is on the PC and what is on the device, later, often long after the sync "finished" and I am nowhere near the PC. Sometimes it works "well", that is it does not seem inordinately slow and does complete successfully.

I did find a couple of things in doing research that are relevant:

1. Apple indicates that syncing PC to iOS device when the PC is on a wired ethernet is not supported: Get help with iTunes Wi-Fi syncing - Apple Support "Check for network configuration changes that may interfere with syncing" ... "Connecting the computer over Ethernet"

2. Restarting the "Apple Mobile Device Service" may help. This should be done while iTunes is not running.

3. Rebooting the PC may help.

4. Doing a winsock reset may help: "netsh winsock reset”

I found some information indicating that the iOS device must be connected to a power supply to sync. I found that not to be true-- having the power connected changes nothing as far as I can tell-- the device appears in iTunes at the same frequency, with the same delay and the sync works just as well/poorly with or without power connected.

Aug 8, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Illuminated23

Looks like it just won't work over ethernet. If you are lucky enough to have a wifi adapter as well on the machine, forcing local subnet connections to go over wifi (then closing iTunes and restarting 'Apple Mobile Device Service') solved my issue.

You can follow this guide to modify your routes:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/choosing-which-connection-to-use-with-windows-routin g-table-editor-gui/

Unable to wi-fi Sync iPad from PC with wired Ethernet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.