Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you boost a file, for a search term, in Spotlight?

Hi,

Is there a way to boost a file so it is more likely to be the top hit for a certain search term?

Here's my situation... I have some saved remote desktop connection files that I need to run sometimes. I want to just type the file name in spotlight and hit 'enter'. But, when I type the name of the file (say, "my-rdesk"), it is not first in the list. The "top hit" is some email, and my desired remote desktop connection is at the bottom of the list, under "Other" files.

I tried putting "my-rdesk" in the comments for the file (Finder > File > Get Info), thinking it might make it the top hit if both the file name and comments matched, but that did nothing.

thanks,

Rob

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 11:58 AM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2014 9:50 AM in response to Robert Nikander

Hello there, Rob.

Using Tags might help with organizing and searching for your important files may be a way of achieving the result you are looking for. The following Knowledge Base article provides information on that feature:

OS X: Tags help you organize your files

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5839

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Can you boost a file, for a search term, in Spotlight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.