Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari's "Preview" and "Download" button icons not working

When reading a pdf file downloaded fresh from the internet in Safari, the "Preview" and "Download" button icons that magically appear at the bottom of the pdf file inside the Safari window no longer do anything; i.e. I can click on them, they change colour showing the click was accepted but they neither download the material to my selected download folder nor open Preview. The + and - zoom buttons work however and the keyboard shortcut command-s also works correctly. If I use Safari to open a pdf that has already been saved on my HD, i.e. by dragging it into Safari's address bar or control-clicking the file and selecting "Open in Safari", then and only then do the "Preview" and "Download" buttons icons work...

Apart from downloading and reinstalling the entire MacOS, would anyone know how to fix this bug? Many thanks in advance.

David

[MacOS 10.9.4 running the latest version of Safari (7.0.6)]

OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Safari 7.0.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 10:00 AM

13 replies

Aug 4, 2017 6:56 AM in response to taktaka

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is a couple of years old, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one. Please describe your problem and include what OS and Safari version you are using.

If you accessed the user Library per my last post, then those files aren't your problem.

Sep 15, 2014 11:55 AM in response to djags

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

From the folder that opens, move to the Trash any items that have "Adobe" or “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari.

Sep 16, 2014 10:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

I thought it was all PDFs but now I realise it's just my company's website where I can't download with the button (although I definitely used to be able to, up until now). Unfortunately I can't give you the link as it's a protected website. So I'm guessing they must have changed something recently (although just the function of the download and preview buttons on Safari...? Strange). Thanks in any case

Safari's "Preview" and "Download" button icons not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.