Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyper-V exist in all Macs and Mini

So Mac can run in VM Platform like VMWARE Fusion - Windows 8.1 - including Windows Phone 8.1 Emulator????

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 12:02 PM

6 replies

Sep 16, 2014 5:28 AM in response to lsepcyeu

All current and recent Macs have support for Intel's VT-x technology for running virtualisation systems like VMware Fusion, Parallels, Virtualbox, and VMware ESXi. This is not the something as Hyper-V which is a specific product from Microsoft.

VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, and Virtualbox all run virtual machines within OS X.

VMware ESXi and Parallels Server all run virtual machines in what is known as 'bare-metal' mode in that you don't first boot in to OS X or Windows but directly in to the virtualisation software. I was under the impression Hyper-V was Microsoft's equivalent product.

While VMware ESXi and Parallels Server both are available for Macs and known entities I have never heard of anyone using Microsoft's Hyper-V natively on a Mac. This does not mean it is not possible but it may not have enough support for Mac hardware to make it possible or useful.

I did find the following article which appears to describe how to use Parallels Desktop on a Mac to run Windows 8.1 and then be able to run the Windows Phone emulator. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/jj945424.aspx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.