Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ramifications of separate Apple IDs

My iMac runs OSX Mavericks and my wife's runs OSX Mountain Lion. We also each have an iPhone and iPad. We have always used the same Apple ID but this causes some confusion. For example: In Contacts, when I mark my card as "me" it also makes that designation in her Contacts, which leads to problems with calendar notifications and, I think, in email. We are thinking that it would be better if we each had our own Apple ID. I wonder if anyone could summarize what ramifications this would have to the way we use the computers and what things might change. Also, would we each have to get a new Apple ID or could one of us keep the current one and simply change the ID on the second computer? How would we go about doing that? Thanks!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 3:22 PM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2014 3:35 PM in response to pathboy

To share purchased use the same purchasing Apple ID on all devices:

For iPhone, iPad & iPod touch:

Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID: > the purchasing Apple ID.

For all other Apple services (iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc...) one of you needs a different Apple ID.

Same for the Mac.

Mac App Store and Mac iTunes > use the same purchases Apple ID.

For iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc....

Sep 15, 2014 3:50 PM in response to pathboy

While it is certainly possible to share an Apple ID, it's an inconvenience for the reasons you describe, and more. Creating separate Apple IDs is really the only way to avoid them. Otherwise you will find yourselves receiving each other's text messages, etc, which is fun only until the novelty wears off.

The implications of it are that they will remain two separate identities with two separate purchase histories. They will be as separate from each other are yours is from anyone else's.

... could one of us keep the current one and simply change the ID on the second computer?

Yes, that is certainly recommended.

Creating a new one is easy: https://appleid.apple.com/account

Don't forget the answers to the security questions you choose, and consider using two step verification to preclude the possibility of pictures of yourself and / or your spouse appearing on websites that cater to prurient interests: Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID.

Just like your security questions, don't lose the Recovery Key.

After creating the new Apple ID, "sign out" of all services that require it, and sign in using the new one. The list is a lengthy one, and growing more so. Use this as a checklist: Where can I use my Apple ID?

Sep 15, 2014 5:57 PM in response to pathboy

I've never tried this and only thought of it reading the good responses you've already gotten.

Perhaps have a third ID which you use for purchase. Now, all purchases are under one AppleID which you both have access to.

Each of you keep a separate one for data--email, contacts, messages, etc.

As I haven't tried this, I'm not sure if there are more headaches over having two, using one as the purchasing ID.

Ramifications of separate Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.