Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Links in Pages

When I click on a link it opens, but the Pages document closes. Word doesn't do this. I think it's probably a simple fix, but I don't know to do it. How do I keep pages open after clicking on a link that opens in Safari?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 5:57 PM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2014 6:48 PM in response to formerwindowsuser

No version of Pages is a Word clone.

Whether I am in Pages ’09 or Pages v5.2.2, when I place a web page link in a document, that active link selection opens a browser window, but does not close the current Pages document. Same drill if I use an Email link, or in Pages ’09 only, another Pages document link.

However, lets say you want to dismiss the open window/tab in Safari that the Pages document link opened. You press command+W, but forgot to change your pointer focus from Pages to Safari. You just closed your open Pages document window.

Sep 15, 2014 7:59 PM in response to formerwindowsuser

That is incorrect.

Clicking on the link does the obvious of switching to the website but does not close the Pages document, as a quick test will confirm.

I have a Pages document side by side with this site. I dragged the url from here into the Pages document and when I click on the link it switches to Safari but that's all. The document is still open.

Peter

Jul 3, 2015 6:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

For as long as I've been using Word, any text could be made into a hyperlink and that hyperlink would open up a webpage without the unnecessary option to edit the link. Thanks for letting me know that Apple did not build this function in Pages. I was thinking that maybe I was doing something wrong. I wish Apple would enable this function in Pages. It would eliminate the necessity of saving the Pages document as a PDF file, as I was told to by an Apple customer service rep.

Jul 4, 2015 5:47 AM in response to formerwindowsuser

Hi formerwindowsuser,

One thing that irks me about Pages, is that when you create a hyperlink and then click on it, you get the option of opening or editing the link.

You can thank the Pages '09 users who complained to Apple that they could not edit a hyperlink because it always opened the webpage (Groan, I have to select the hyperlink, then go to Inspector > Link and untick 'Enable as Hyperlink'). Phew!

In Pages 5, Apple introduced the immediate options of editing or opening a hyperlink.

Be careful of what you ask. It might come back to bite you.

Regards,

Ian.

Links in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.