Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the root name on my macbook

My old maried name shows up as the root name on the path bar how do I change it to my maiden name

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 10:03 PM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Kenneth Rankin

If you are referring to the name of your user account: Changing user account short name. Another procedure I've seen but not used is:

Apple's support article HT1428: OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name, still refers to the old and buggy support article HT1528: Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X. No one should ever need to enable the root user. This procedure is overly complex and buggy. If you really and truly need to act as the root user, use the Terminal and run the "sudo" command.

Here is a better procedure for changing a user account short name that does not require the root user:

1. Create a new Administrator account

2. Log in as the new Administrator account

3. Run Terminal.app and enter the following commands:

cd /Users

sudo mv oldshortname newshortname

Keep in mind that the shortname must be all lowercase, with no spaces, and only contain letters.

4. Use the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier) in System Preferences to create a new user with the Account name or Short Name that you used in the previous step.

5. Click OK when "A folder in the Users folder already has the name 'account name'. Would you like to use that folder as the Home folder for this user account?" appears. Note: This will correct the ownership of all files in the Home folder, and avoid permissions issues with the contents.

6. Use the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier) in System Preferences to delete the old user

7. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu.

8. Log in as the newly created user. You should be able to access all of your original files (on the desktop, in Documents, and in the other folders of this Home).

9. After verifying that your data is as expected, you can delete the original user account via the Users & Groups pane (Accounts pane in Mac OS X v10.6.8 or earlier).

How do I change the root name on my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.