Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magic Mouse is very jerky and unresponsive

As the title says: My Magic Mouse transmitting to a new late 2012 MacMini is behaving most irrationally and makes using the Mac virtually impossible. There is absolutely no precision as the arrow jerks and flies across the window; plus scrolling is near impossible as a page stalls and then suddenly flicks to the top or bottom (depending on the direction in which I'm scrolling).

I have removed the mouse and re-paired it (a few times).

Re-installed OS X (Mavericks and Yosemite 10.10) on clean HDD's.

Batteries are 100%.

Disconnected all peripheral USB devices even though the mouse and keyboard use Bluetooth frequencies. Switched off MacMini and left to stand a minute disconnected from mains.

Cleared PRAM.

Used compressed air to clear optics of any possibly debris.

Anyone any ideas as to how I get this new mouse to behave?

Wired mice/keyboards do not give problems. This Mac, however, I purchased for home entertainment and it is failing miserably in its one simple role.

Additionally, the Apple wireless keyboard sometimes goes haywire and repeats characters over and over and over.

These aren't cheap devices and should "just work".

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 6:08 AM

3 replies

Sep 16, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Neal Jackson

You seem to have covered most of the regular areas of contention but ... the Yosemite reference concerns me. As it is only in Beta stage and Apple relies on such to find the problems, yours may be just such a problem.

Did I understand correctly that you could use a wired mouse without trouble to perform the tasks (apart from gaming) that the magic mouse goes awry with? And can Mavericks be operated individually, in other words from a partition?

Nov 12, 2014 9:05 AM in response to Neal Jackson

I'm having a similar problem in Yosemite and suspect the issue to be Bluetooth device contention -- in my Bluetooth menu I can see other, unpaired devices nearby in my office, one of which seems to be "flashing" as it tries to connect to my machine. The interfering mouse somehow managed to connect, which presumably pushed my mouse off the iMac. I reopened the BT menu using my wired mouse and disconnected from the interfering mouse. Now have to figure out how to force the interfering mouse to stay with its owner.

My Magic Mouse is very jerky and unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.